Installing Windown 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Wh1tey, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Wh1tey

Wh1tey MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    Ok I have installed Win 7 on the lappy fine awhile back. I am now going to be installing it on the main PC as the main OS. What I'm trying to find out is what all I will need?

Specs
    Cpu: AMD FX-55
    2 Gigs Corsair XMS memory
    MB: Asus K8N-SLI-dlx

What latest version of 7 should I use? also if any what loader/installer do I need?

If someone can point me in the correct location I would appreciate it. Thx's

2. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Get the RTM from the stickies...
    It's the version you will be able to buy in stores and that comes pre-loaded on PCs.
    Just get the edition of your choice (most likely Ultimate) and the language you speak.

As for loader... I'd recommend not using one and getting a BIOS mod, but that does carry a little bit of a risk -- though if you take the time to read up how to recover your BIOS from a bad flash, you should be OK in the event of a worst-case-scenario.
    Overall the process is typically simple, the issues arise from impatient people who dont do the research on how to flash and recover your BIOS and don't make a BIOS recovery disk or USB and then panic when something doesn't work.

However, if you're not confident in your abilities or just don't want to risk/mess around with a BIOS mod, then there is a list of loaders in the stickies.
    Each one has their own pros and cons, just read up and decide which you think would be best for yourself and your set up.

3. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    #3 dakota42784, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009

Your not giving very much Info but:

2 Gigs of memory= bare minimum
    If you don't add at least a couple more gigs then, the highest Win 7 that I would run is Windows 7 Home Premium x32 bit.
    If your System is x64 bit, I would upgrade memory as a Top Priority !!!!!
    Then Maybe you could run Windows 7 Ultimate x 64 bit.

I would put in a Request for a bios mod & then flash Bios to Slic 2.1
    But that is Me, and can be dangerous if you are not very savvy in working with computers.
    There is an incredible amount of Info on this site & If I were you I would take advantage of that & Read & Absorb it.
    Then you will be better equipped to make a decision thats Right for you.
    As a Last Resort:
    If you are not that confident.........Then I would use Daz's Loader to activate.
    Hope this helps.

4. dzadzev

dzadzev MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    lol that's not true, with 2GB of RAM you can run Windows 7 Ultimate flawlessly without any hiccups :)

5. dzadzev

Aug 3, 2009
    #5 dzadzev, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. bencasina

bencasina MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    i had 1 gig memory for vista home premium that ran fine, i now replaced it with windows 7 ultimate a few weeks ago and it runs that very well too, i was going to put another 1 gig in but found i dont need it.

7. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I stand behind my statement above, sure you can run it with 2 gigs but...................................................................... it's bare minimum.

How much RAM must your computer have to effectively run Windows 7?
    In: Windows 7
    Minimum requirements:
    1 GB of RAM (32-bit)
    2 GB of RAM (64-bit)

You'll want to at least double it if you want it to run smoothly.

8. dzadzev

Aug 3, 2009
    #8 dzadzev, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
    Have you tried to run it with 2GB (Ultimate 32-bit) or you just speaking by what you have read or heard ?

I have 2GB and its running more than smoothly, and by my experience is more than enough and I never had a feeling that I need it more, although I use lots of photo processing software and of course games ;)
    Yeah I'm not saying that will not help if I had more especially for photo processing or video editing, but for average user is more than enough ;)

The point is that you will not see difference if you are using Home Premium or Ultimate with 2GB :D (assuming that other components are good enough to run 7)

9. darwincuenca

darwincuenca MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2009
    yeah 2GB is far more enough... im using win 7 ultimate with 2 gb and it is far mo better than vista.

10. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    I'm running with 2Gb with no issues and very fast. You also need a good Graphics Board if you want to enjoy Aero Interface.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. SixKillerLV

SixKillerLV MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
    I run x64 Ultimate on 2GB RAM + 4GB USB-key for ReadyBoost and its run more than smoothly (RAM usage in idle ~640MB, same as in XP x64). And yes you need good Graphics Board to enjoy Aero interface and games.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. jatty

jatty MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    running win7 ultimate on 2 gig ram flawlessly with 63% free ram :)

13. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    ultimate x64 on 2 gig here w/ no hiccups, as fast as xp32 is.

14. MCGamer

MCGamer MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I had Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed for a while as a dual-boot with maximum settings and it still ran fine and didn't use much memory while idle... Though I have 4GB of RAM and a stock 3.0GHz processor, lol.

15. akjs123

akjs123 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    I use windows 7 x64 on a laptop with 2gb without any problem at all. Performance in games etc is also good.