Installing Windows 7 in 2020

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bobdoleoftheswamp, Mar 19, 2020.

1. bobdoleoftheswamp

bobdoleoftheswamp MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2019
    I plan to install Windows 7 on a NVME drive, I have an ISO with Windows 7 Ultimate. Since I haven't actually done this in many years and support officially ended, please inform me if I have the correct steps and order.
    1. Mount ISO on USB drive using MSI Smart Tool, which adds USB3 and NVME drivers to the installation.
    2. Install
    3. Activate using some tool (tried DAZ Loader before but it doesn't work on GPT partition? Not sure what I'll do.)
    4. Install Win7 chipset/driver software for my motherboard, NVIDIA drivers, dot NET framework, java and some other stuff.
    5. Update Windows 7 with Simplix update pack.

I need some advice with step 3. If there's a better way of doing anything at all, please tell me. Thanks.

2. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. yucharles

yucharles MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2012
    Win7 not support GPT 。
    use win 10 boot or win 10 skin will support GPT

4. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Last I heard Windows 7 does support GPT partitions

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    7 x64 has no problems GPT partitions.

6. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    #6 LittlePro, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  7. Brother the best option among all : Request a Modded BIOS from https://forums.mydigitallife.net/members/serg008.133527/ with Integerated SLIC & Cert & use Key to activate win7 for your Mobo Manufacturer . Thats all enjoy activated permanently.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #8 Enthousiast, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Why not use the MDL SiMPLiX tool (i have no nvme to test myself), put in the specific drivers from the msi website, create whatever SKU you want, and activate by any of the options mentioned here:
    [GUIDE] Activate Windows 7 on PCs with UEFI

ps, if msi provides a win 7 tool, the mobo probably still has csm onboard, best to use it.
    If csm is not available or you can't get it to work, use pro/ent as @shhnedo suggested for KMS_VL_ALL capable activation.

9. Brother i can confirm NVME drivers Work Perfectly while installing simplixed iso created using your tool on real machine . i have tested it on a non official machine with PCIE based samsung evo pro 970 & it installed without any issue. i will test it with m2 2280 ssd too sometime later & will post the results ,

Thanks & Regards :)

10. bobdoleoftheswamp

Nov 10, 2019
    Jesus, I am overwhelmed with options and I'm a total amateur. Let me provide more info:
    I have a 2nd gen Ryzen Motherboard/CPU that officially supports Win 7, has CSM mode and provides the Win 7 drivers and MSI Smart Tool.
    Questions:
    -Do I need drivers specific to my NVME/SATA/USB devices like the second post suggested, or am I fine with nonspecific NVME/SATA/USB drivers? Mine's from Corsair and the driver they provide is an .exe I don't know how to add to an installation.
    -With all these different methods (dism, NTLite, MDL Simplix tool, MSI Smart Tool) is there any actual difference in the end result when I've finished installing everything?

11. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
  12. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    #12 LittlePro, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    MSI Smart Tool can provide you an USB Installation Drive Or ISO with all the very crucial drivers ( USB 3.0, Raid, etc. ) already integrated. After installation, you will need to install the other missing drivers, windows updates, Net Frameworks, VC++, etc. & your stuff.
    The good thing is : it already includes the crucial drivers, Just follow the tutorial & you will be through the installation process. Quite good for a newbie!

MDL Simplix Tool has a wide approach & results! Based on your choices, You can integrate all the windows updates, drivers, .net framework, VC++, etc. directly into the ISO. Just assume that you have just finished the installation & all that stuff is already installed & updated. The full package includes all that stuff with crucial drivers as well. So, after the installation is completed, you will need to only install the missing drivers & your stuff ( & a few updates if any! )

In a line : Both tools include crucial drivers, So you have actually nothing to worry about crucial installation drivers & you will be through the installation process but the simplix tool integrates other things as well.

P.S. NTLite & DISM can add drivers & do almost all the things Simplix tool can do, but it would need a lot more efforts & exploration.

Thanks. ...

13. bobdoleoftheswamp

Nov 10, 2019
    Thanks everyone.
    Quick question, is there any difference in performance/compatibility/anything between running Windows 7 x64 on MBR and GPT? I can do either, but MBR seems simpler for activation.

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No difference, except efi booting can take a split second longer.

When you don't want to boot a >2TB disk, or not having 4+ primary partitions on 1 disk, best to use Legacy Bios/MBR for 7.

15. bobdoleoftheswamp

Nov 10, 2019
    Just to conclude this, it's installed and everything is going successfully so far. Thanks everyone at MDL for the pointers and tools.

16. yucharles

yucharles MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2012
    you all don't know my real mean,all can write GPT but efi partition。this can,t boot。
    so win7 ,maybe no any use

17. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Even with your hard to understand English, this is pretty self-explanatory with really no room for interpretation. The answer to which is always the same: Windows 7 can be installed with UEFI-CSM enabled and it introduces no inconveniences regarding the GPT partitions. By default we assume 7 x64 and we're probably 100% right to do so.

18. Insanegamer1996

Insanegamer1996 MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2019
    #18 Insanegamer1996, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    I clean installed win 7 its head and shoulders above win 10 which is comming with soda and 1000 other apps that eat up space , ram and slow pc down . Win 7 is snappy asf and you dont have to turn game dvr to make it playable . Difference clean install 7 vs clean install 10 is 500 fps on win 10 vs 800 fps on win 7 in game that i need lower input lag take ur lesson ! Win 7 will be the better ,faster os when it comes to gaming until there is hardware that supports it.