Installing Windows 7 on external Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lordcorvin, Apr 12, 2021.

1. lordcorvin

lordcorvin MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    So I'm trying to find a method to install win 7 to USB 3 SSD.
    All "tutorials" online are from companies trying to sell their product
    Exhibit 1: easyuefi.com/wintousb/resource/create-windows-7-to-go.html
    Exhibit 2: diskpart.com/win2go/windows-7-windows-to-go-1004.html

Is there a proper way to do it without 3rd party software? Or at least open source one?

I'm just too lazy to disassemble the laptop to install a drive.

2. computerdude5150

computerdude5150 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2019
    Rufus (which is free) makes bootable windows USB drives, but they can also make windows-to-go media i.e external HDD/SSD of course you'll need to mod the ISO to accept USB 3.0 (If your laptop has that), an ISO of the version of windows 7 you want to install, a valid product key, and of course Rufus. It's really easy/straightforward. I've done it before it's really nice if you want a portable install of windows 7/8.1/10. you can also choose MBR or GPT depending on how old the computer is.

3. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Just disassemble it, it can took about 30min. Problem solved :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. HHo2016

HHo2016 MDL Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Personally I have used WinNTSetup to set up Windows 7 on external HDD in the past. But I haven't tried bootable external Windows 7 USB HDD with a UEFI Class 3 laptop (only tried an older desktop and laptop that still had XHCI - both were 4th gen/8 series chipset/Haswell). I have slipstreamed both the official Intel/AMD USB XHCI drivers and generic USB XHCI drivers before. I believe that you can replace the install.wim of the Windows 10 install USB with Windows 7 install.wim and installer will install Windows 7 properly (but again this is in theory only). Then you would need to use UEFISeven to patch the boot files (and make sure you slipstream all chipset/graphics drivers).

I have tried and failed to get Windows 7 installed on a local partition on Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 and Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 (20T7) as they were all UEFI Class 3 despite having UEFISeven patch due to lack of functioning graphics driver for Windows 7 (that is signed and could be installed automatically by OOBE).

5. lordcorvin

lordcorvin MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    I guess I'll do it manually and post the working ISO for people to try out if I get it working. I have Ryzen 2500U which also have driver issues I believe.

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Please note that you are not allowed to post modified (homebrew) ISOs here on MDL.

7. lordcorvin

lordcorvin MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    Yep, it'll be "anonymous" on some 4 leaf clover board

8. ExtremelyFancyUsername

Oct 17, 2018
    4chan is still a thing?

9. lordcorvin

lordcorvin MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    Oh yeah, they had influx of users from reddit and tumblr bans. The issue is sorting out s**t from that cesspool. I stick to /g/. Filters also help