Installing Windows 7; Reformatting Windows XP: I know this driver issue isn't new...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DoIt, Apr 24, 2010.

1. DoIt

DoIt MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2010
    Okay, I'm sure this post is going to elicit a few groans. Bare with me here. I have done the research and still can't find a way to get past the "cannot find missing driver" screen.

But you will probably need a few more details than this... :)

I currently have the following specifications:

Windows XP Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2
    Intel(R) Corel(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80 GHz
    1.00 GB of RAM

Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    Disk Drives: Maxtor 6 E040L0 SCSI
    SAMSUNG SP2514N SCSI

DVD DRIVE: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B
    (This is what I am using to boot Windows 7)

SCSI AND RAID Controllers
    ITE IT8211 ATA/ATAPI Controller
    MagicIso SCSI Host Controller
    SCSI/RAID Host Controller

Multiprocessor: ACPI Multiprocessor PC

This is all installed on my desktop. I want to reformat my computer and install a new OS: Windows 7 Build 7600.

I did the necessary changes like setting my BIOS priority to load the DVD drive first. This lets the computer boot the disc. When I attempt to proceed further here's what happens:

1. I get through the "windows is loading files" screen fine
    2. Starting Windows screen = no problem
    3. Several minutes waiting for something to appear on a blue screen
    4. Finally, I select: "Language to Install" --> English
    "Time and currency format" --> English (US)
    "Keyboard or input method" --> US
    5. I select "Install Now" (I have the option to click "Repair your computer")
    6. "Setup is starting..." and the windows 7 loading icon of a circle pops up
    7. After several minutes of the "Setup" screen, a message pops up saying the following:

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.
    Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step

Browse Ok Cancel

(At the very top of the screen is says "Select the driver to be installed.")

(At the very bottom of the screen it says:

Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer (checkmarked)

Browse Rescan Cancel

I would love to get some help with this as it is quite a problem for me.

Research I have done suggests that my RAID might be interfering somehow....?

I know nothing about computers

-Andrew

2. ioftro

ioftro MDL Junior Member

Sep 9, 2009
    It could be a problem with your dvd drive, misreading data or a bad dvd copy of windows 7 but I'm not certain here. Maybe you could check that the dvd disc is ok as a first step.

3. DoIt

DoIt MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2010
    That's a good idea. I had it verified by PowerIso. Is there something more I should do? Also, I burned it at the lowest possible speed. This is the third time I've tried burning but no luck.

4. ioftro

ioftro MDL Junior Member

Sep 9, 2009
  5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  6. ioftro

ioftro MDL Junior Member

Sep 9, 2009
    I use hashtab... I just right click and choose properties, click on the File Hashes tab and enter the SHA1 and you get a result, a check mark or an X. Other hash checkers work similarly but with different steps. I don't which hash checker you have.

7. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    The one from the former "repository"...lol is basically the same but instead of entering the sha1 just wait for checksum to complete...lol So basically yea same thing...lol

8. DoIt

DoIt MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2010
    Timesurfer,

Something told me you might be interested in this one... (I looked at all 3000 of the comments - what fun for you!)

Just thought of something: Would all of my XP drivers need to be updated for this to work? I got this XP Professional copy from a friend and he said not to use the updates. He gave me an address but I can't remember what it was to get the updates from.

Perhaps this may be the reason.

Another added annoyance:

My current OS seems to be wigging out, which is why I chose to reformat in the first place.
    Wigging out = any complicated activity sends the monitor into intermittent blinking and the OS just locks up/can't move mouse cursor

I will try your suggestion about the checksum

One last thing:

All of my burning/researching/etc. is being done via another laptop computer; thus, the hash checker is not installed on the computer I wish to install Windows 7 to. (This probably isn't relevant but I thought I'd let you know)

9. DoIt

DoIt MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2010
    HashCheckInstall - 2.1.11

No clue what company this is...lol

10. ioftro

ioftro MDL Junior Member

Sep 9, 2009
    right click on the iso file, click properties then click checksums...it will show the hash

11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #14 timesurfer, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
    Get the ISO to register hash perfect then it's good as long as your burn or transfer of the ISO in good one. I obviously don't participate on that site anymore but yea it was interesting...lol

And actually if I hadn't chosen to disengage that site I wouldn't have hung out here as much as I have. There's virtually no flaming here and the personalities of MDL's participants are quite interesting to say the least. I am still accepting the recent loss of the "repository" and it's future effect for the windows 7 thread. Life goes on...lol

12. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #15 timesurfer, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
    Or with the late "repo" hashchecker just right click the chose create checksum file to create file to accompany the ISO to whatever location for hashcheck verification...lol

13. ioftro

ioftro MDL Junior Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Have to go... hope things work out for you. Will leave you with timesurfer, you are in good hands. :)

14. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Boot from the windows DVD and run the memory check or get a memory check program.

A helluva lot of the type of symptoms you are describing are caused by memory errors - just before your system starts to bluescreen.

Worth checking even if all OK after the check.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Nothing wrong with ISO, this error is AHCI / PATA / SATA releated.

Change AHCI / PATA option in BIOS, you are probably set to AHCI right now, hence this error.

This is quite a common error on install of Vista and 7.

16. DoIt

DoIt MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2010
    Thanks for the tip about the BIOS.

I may check that after posting this.

Also, Timesurfer here's what the checksum reads

File: HashCheckInstall-2.1.11.exe
    CRC-32: 77f0f43d
    MD4: bd7eef79d518239b9caf90b55a57d95e
    MD5: b99ff61def8125e2178ce6f1f7d6d8c0
    SHA-1: d3cb884c8fc3f04720d176777508c4f5dd2df40c

Did I copy the wrong thing? lol. It looks nothing like what you said...

17. DoIt

DoIt MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2010
    I have a big question for you:

Can I screw things up by selecting/switching the wrong thing in BIOS --> CHIPSET?

I have ITE8211FController SET TO [IDE Mode]

Have a feeling that if I choose the only other option [DISABLE] it may work. But need some assurance that I won't kill my computer. :)