Installing Windows 8 on an accidentally formatted HP laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Falador, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Falador

Falador MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    Hi all,

I accidentally did a very stupid thing: while trying to install Windows 7 instead of Windows 8, I formatted the entire hard drive that came with the laptop, so the recovery partition is dead.

Is there any way I can re-install Windows 8 with an ISO, and still be legitimately activated? Or am I totally screwed?

Thanks in advance!

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. Falador

Falador MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    Thanks, urie!

I did have a look, and it's bad news for me: My laptop came with Windows 8 Core, so no ISO and no recovery partition. HP said this isn't included in the warranty and I have to pay some 3rd party to reinstall it.

Today's a bad day..

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Falador

Falador MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused, so this question will probably sound dumb: If I install the Windows 8 Core x64 ISO, which is exactly the system that my laptop came with, will it be activated? It's just that I've nothing - no product key, no recovery partition, nothing but a Windows 8 sticker on the back of the laptop and an empty hard drive. I checked the link urie posted, but all I managed to gather was that I'm probably out of luck..

6. Falador

Falador MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    Then I am definitely going to give this a try. I'll update as soon as I have anything.

Many Many Thanks!

7. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Paul has the best answer and it will definitely work cause I just done it with same downloads.

8. Falador

Falador MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    Good news! After numerous attempts at installation, I finally managed to reinstall Windows 8, and it got activated no problem :)

Thanks guys!