Installing Windows7 VMWare Workstation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by luky, Nov 1, 2010.

1. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    Guys why do the installation Windows7 on VMWare Workstation menu does not offer the version I want to install but easy installs Windows7 Home Basic, despite the fact that I have open all versions of the circuit. Thank you very much.

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    So have you deleted ei.cfg? Is there more then one version in install.wim?

3. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    @tcntad Yes ei.cfg is deleted and the normal should show all the versions, but we do not show any, but only begins install.

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Enterprise in VM WS 7 installs as is. But I saw with VM WS 7 that when I click on iso of ultimate, the top most is home basic. One has to be careful and select ultimate in the drop down menu before install. Otherwise it just installs home basic. Trust me, it has happened with me. But very easy to just select ultimate if you have selected the iso for ultimate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    @acyuta I do installation from the ISO file on your hard disk, but we do not offer drop-down menu to choose from, but just start the install and it's a problem I do not know why. The same thing happens if I install from the DVD.

6. pantagruel

pantagruel MDL Addicted

Aug 30, 2007
    Don't use Easy Install - select 'I will install the operating system later' and let it create the VM with a blank hard disk. Then install from the ISO or DVD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Strange. At least from the iso with me, I click on new VM, then typical, then select ultimate iso. Then VM asks for keys which I ignore. At this screen, I see home basic at the top and ultimate at the bottom. Select ultimate, then customise hard disk, and then install.

Just checked this before posting. Version is VM WS 7.1.2 build 301548 released in Sep 2010.

8. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    @acyuta Thanks I missed setting version of the entry key.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    pantagrue, Yes that is correct I answer found that out the hard way, especially if you are using Autounattend.xml VMware uses its own adding your user name e.c.t and ignores your Autounattend.xml. so as you say just create new VM but dont select OS system.

10. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    If you still make the error and install home basic or home premium, and activate it with Daz loader, you can still make it ultimate after install and getting windows desktop. Just go to anytime upgrade and type in the OEM key for ultimate. This worked once for me (only 1 instance that I tried and it was successful).