Installing without format?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by LiteOS, Mar 19, 2018.

1. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #1 LiteOS, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    I did something i think that broke the OS
    if i reinstall over without doing format what will happened ?
    in area of hdd space? will it take twice space, (sorry if its nab questions i just dont have idea how its works)
    my configuration will be on the new reinstalled os ?

thx

2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @LiteOS - 1.) Which Linux distro are you trying to install? 2.) Are you trying to install it as a stand-alone OS, or are you trying to install it along with an existing OS, either Linux or Windows?

If you're trying to install it as a stand-alone OS, with no other operating systems, the installer usually has an option to delete everything on the disk and then creates new partitions. However, if you're trying to install it alongside an existing OS, you usually have to use a disk utility like Gparted to manually remove the partitions from the failed installation, being careful not to delete the partitions that are being used by the existing OS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #3 LiteOS, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    (OP)
    Hey, i installed Manjaro budgie, i removed (i think) packages that relate to settings isn't exist anymore after installing updates

I have another Manjaro installed on another partition at same drive
    i did try few distros so i installed using manual setting the partition, formatting making it root
    without changing anything else worked good

Im just wondering what will happen when installing without formatting the partition
    is it gonna fix the os ?

4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...