Installing XP on my HP Pavilion DV6-2190us

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by shocktube, Apr 15, 2014.

1. shocktube

shocktube MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2014
    Hi,

My HP Pavilion originally came with Win7 on it. I just got a new hard drive for it and I want to install XP on it. From what I am reading this laptop was not designed for XP and when I try to install XP it starts but then throws a blue screen with the "stop: 0x0000007B" error. If this is related to if not recognizing the hard drive I'm kind of stuck because my laptop has the insyde H20 bios that do not allow changes for the XP install to recognize it. Are there modified bios that will let me install it? Thanks.

2. smlm17

smlm17 Guest

Why you want to downgrade your operating system, it`s not cool :g:

3. ryanch94

ryanch94 MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2012
    You don't need to mod your BIOS, all you need to do is slipstream the SATA drivers for your laptop into the install disk. You can do this with nLite (Google it). You may have to do bit of web searching to find the drivers though. In Windows 7, go to device manager and look under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers'. Double click on the device in that section, go to the details tab and select 'Hardware ids' from the dropdown list. Reply here with the device id (which should look something like VEN_XXXX&DEV_XXXX) and we can try to help you find the correct drivers.

4. shocktube

shocktube MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. The ATA/ATAPI Controller is an Intel(R) PCHM SATA AHCI Controller 6 Port. I did see the process for determining the SATA driver and slipstreaming it in to the install disk at the HP Support Forums under "SATA drivers for XP (solution on 0x0000007B BSOD)". According to CPU-Z I have an Intel PM55 chipset. I downloaded the recommended SATA driver from Intel and slipstreamed the 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller using nLite. That resulted in the same error. I'm pretty sure I slipstreamed it correctly because the size of the install file got larger. Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong?

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. CaffeinePizza

CaffeinePizza MDL Junior Member

May 19, 2013
    Why are you installing a 12 year old OS? That's stupid in my opinion. Install it in VirtualBox or something.

7. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    Instead of installing Windows xp on ur laptop, Install windows 8.1 and use virtual box for running as many other OS side by side.