Insyde H2O Bios - Enable VT ?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by PinkFreud, Dec 27, 2009.

1. PinkFreud

PinkFreud MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
    #1 PinkFreud, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009

Attached Files:

2. PinkFreud

PinkFreud MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
  3. PinkFreud

PinkFreud MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
    #3 PinkFreud, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  4. PinkFreud

PinkFreud MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
    Wondering how lucky we could get

Within the Setup variable array, offset 0xdddd contains the User Access Level byte.
    The values for User Access Level are:
    0x00 - View Only Item
    0x01 - No Access
    0x02 - View Only
    0x03 - Limited
    0x04 - Full

This User Access Level byte is checked on almost every EFI configuration value available to display in the Setup utility. Changing it from the default 0x02 - View Only value to 0x04 - Full Access might allow more EFI values to be viewed and/or changed, but I'm too tired to attempt that tonight. (I'm happy just to have gotten this far in one day.)

The image attached below is the output of the vtenable.py script. The highlighted bytes show the VT Support and User Access Level flags.

Attached Files:

5. PinkFreud

PinkFreud MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
    VT was successfully enabled

This morning I backed up the installed factory BIOS and flashed the patched BIOS. Unfortunately the default InsydeFlash options didn't flash the updated Setup data values into the BIOS. I enabled the Options dialog in platform.ini and re-ran the flash process. This time I selected to flash ALL BIOS segments and after rebooting VT is enabled :D in the Locked On state. Attached below are screen shots from the GRC SecurAble utility showing the VT state disabled before and enabled after the complete BIOS flash.

Attached Files:

6. mihi64

mihi64 MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2010
    Do you still have the files(*.py, *.fd) used to enable VT-x? I have an identical laptop(Acer Aspite 5315 ICL50, Insyde Bios v1.34) and I want to do some comparative tests.

7. weaveR

weaveR MDL Member

Nov 8, 2009
    What exactly does VT achieve?

8. mihi64

mihi64 MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2010
    I am a malware analyst and I use VMware to study viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, etc.
    VT enables almost real-time execution.

9. alterpeople

alterpeople MDL Novice

May 2, 2011
    #9 alterpeople, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    bios

i ve found this around da net

tripleW dotmegaupload.com/?d=8XZ7ZBA4

seems 2 b working ..

c ya

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Why bumping such an old thread???

11. diablillonet

diablillonet MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2011
    #11 diablillonet, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
    Hello.
    I have a Aspire 2930 and i changed the CPU P7300 for a T7300 with Intel VT support, but it is deactivated and i can’t switching to on in bios. Please i need help.
    I’ve folllow the instructions and i have the next error:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ python vtenable.py original_bios.fd vtenable.fd
    Loading BIOS…
    Loading VSS…
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “vtenable.py”, line 100, in
    raise ValueError(“Variable not found!”)
    ValueError: Variable not found!

EDIT:
    If execute python main.py:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "main.py", line 31, in <module>
    import fsdump
    ImportError: No module named fsdump

Manufacturer: Acer
    Model: Aspire 2930
    Version: 1.17
    Bios Type: Insyde H2O
    SLIC: 2.1

Any ideas?
    Help me, please.
    Thanks.

12. jvanc

jvanc MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2011
    VT enable on Aspire 4925 please HELP

I've got an Acer 4925 Aspire with a T7500 proc. I've gone inside the BIOS which seems the same as most of the type and versions mentioned here - InsydeH2O ver 3.5.

Like most I cannot access the advanced menu features or even the VT enable setting. I've read the posts here and by marcansoft and some others but none of those have mentioned a universal Aspire solution.

I'd like to get the full feature set of my Aspire 4925 BIOS. Can anyone help please?:help2:

Thanks.

Aspire BIOS name: AL90_122.fd (DOS flashing)
    JAL90122.EXE (windows)

13. javierfireman

javierfireman MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2014
    Could this or a similar method be used to activate virtualization on my NE72214u. GRS Securable says that my AMD Quad-core A4-5000 offer hardware support for virtualization. Could I get some help?:confused:

14. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Depending on the CPU/etc., enabling virtualization will enable (at minimum) either the basic VT-x (Intel Core series and AMD equivalents of the same era) or Hyper-V (superset of VT-x; applies to Core i-series (all generations), Intel 4th-generation (LGA1150) down to Pentium-G32xx, and AMD desktop and mobile CPUs and APUs back to and including Turion II).

No - I didn't stutter when I mentioned either APUs or the Turion II (which said APUs replaced); just to my right I have an HP Pavilion dv4 2045dx that I have reconfigured into a mobile development platform via the tag-team of Windows Server 2016 (Technical Preview 2) and Visual Studio Community 2015 RC. For some reason, later versions of Windows 10 have issues with Hyper-V, while Windows Server 2016 (which gained the SLAT requirement) installed sans quibbles - hence the use (once again) of server OS as workstation OS (something I did with Server 2012R2 on my desktop before 10 came along).