Insyde Microcode Modding Question

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Mr_nUUb, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Mr_nUUb

Mr_nUUb MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2015
    Hi!

I downloaded the new BIOS for my mothers Acer ES1-371 and began updating the microcodes, because this model is not in the list of devices Acer promises to update (Spectre mitigation).
    I also found donovan6000's tutorial via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

I started the flasher and copied all files from C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\7zSAB10.tmp\.
    The file isflash.bin is clearly the BIOS ROM.
    So I began modding... CPUID 406C3 and 406C4, both platform 01, are already integrated but outdated.
    I followed the tutorial and just pasted the new microcodes into the BIOS image.
    To proof if everything went well, I checked the BIOS with AndyP's Phoenix Tool (Allow Mods, No SLIC,...).
    The microcodes are in module 197DB236-F856-4924-90F8-CDF12FB875F3, but they get cut off and the rest is in PADDING_6.
    The unmodified ROM does not show this behaviour, microcodes are in 197DB236... and PADDING_6 ist just filled with 0xFF.

So here's my question: Is this OK? Or am I stuck because the new microcodes are bigger?
    I already tried increasing the size of the microcode module and chortening the padding, but this results in "Error 6 - The arithmetic operation caused a buffer overflow.".

Best Regards,
    Mr nUUb