Integrate DaRT into boot.wim

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Marc05, May 7, 2013.

1. Marc05

Marc05 MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    I have created a DaRT7.0 boot image using the tools from Microsoft. I would like to add the same functionality to the boot.wim image (what shows up when you start up a Windows 7 DVD and click "Repair your computer.").

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It might not be very easy to do something like that. I imagine that even if you hex edited the setup program to point at a different program, it probably loads a lot of different things during its initialization sequence.
    I've had DaRT fail to load when simple running on a system with updated kb files and a deleted winsxs backup folder. It's fairly picky.

If I were you, I'd just get that thought out of your head and be satisfied with a dual-boot bcd.

3. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    I would make a Dart wim, add the sources directory from index 2 of the normal boot.wim so you have the setup files and licenses, and then edit winpeinit.ini in system32 to start x:\setup.exe instead of x:\sources\setup.exe or recenv.exe. Or, if you are like me, make a simple gui to choose setup, recovery environment, dart, etc.

4. Marc05

Marc05 MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    #4 Marc05, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    (OP)
    Hmm, I will try this and see what happens.

Edit: I got it working! What I did was:
    - Create a DaRT Recovery Image
    - Extract/mount boot.wim from the DaRT image
    - Extract and mount both indexes from boot.wim in the windows dvd sources folder
    - Copy/replace the files in both indexes (the ones mounted from dvd) with the ones from DaRT
    - Delete Winpeshl.ini from the second index (from dvd boot.wim).
    - Commit both indexes and replace the old boot.wim in the dvd with the new one

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    add to bcd menu dart.wim in sources..done . if u do in USB with easybcd 2.2 u can with WinPE and Enable EMS checked for both 7 and Dart