Integrate explorer.exe to Windows XP ISO

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by myamar, Mar 17, 2010.

1. myamar

myamar MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Hi guys,

I found one nice theme and I would like to ask if it is possible to integrate "explorer.exe" into Windows XP ISO. If it is, could somebody help me with that? Thx a lot.

2. Joe42

Joe42 MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2009
    Themes are not .exe files and explorer.exe is an integral part of Windows already.

3. myamar

myamar MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I know that explorer.exe is part of win. There are some themes with modded "explorer.exe" where you replace original "explorer.exe" with modded one for having customizes taskbar for example. And I asked if there's a possibility to integrate this modded "explorer.exe" to ISO.

4. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    You could try, but 'explorer.exe' is digitally signed and I think will break the installation. If 'explorer.exe' is compresses as 'explorer.ex_, you'll have to do the same for the modded one with makecab.exe. Then just copy it in the i386 folder or where is the original one. Maybe the IE8 setup file (Ms cab archive).

5. Joe42

Joe42 MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2009
    You would have to use modifyPE on the altered explorer.exe to get windows setup to accept it, otherwise setup will halt and error.

6. Suicide Solution

Suicide Solution MDL Addicted

Apr 29, 2008
    As the member above mentioned, you must apply ModifyPE to the file 1st, then compress the file afterward, using makecab command.

Attached is modifype file..best to move it to the system32 folder so commands for it can be ran without having to type in a complete file path.

Attached Files: