Integrating office 2013 to Windows 8 install.wim

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bertikul, Apr 28, 2013.

1. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Hi all

I'm trying to find a guide on how to slipstream/integrate office 2013 to windows 8 ISO. I know murphy78 has made something like that. Tried to find same guide in his posts/thread but couldn't find anything.
    Anyone can help me with that?
    Thanks

2. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #2 moderate, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    Please could somebody post exact step-by step guide, how to (WHERE to) add SetupComplete.CMD to DISM-mounted install.wim...?
    I am confused, because MS suggests on TechNet to put it to C:\Windows\Setup\Scripts to already installed system...
    Also how to address those apps to run (what path to use (relative one?)) and where to put them in the image?

I want to run:
    AMD64-all-delmigprov.exe (It is a part (small exe) from KB2756872.)
    AMD64-all-fixiepropschema.exe (KB2772501)
    AMD64-all-windows-kb890830-x64-v4.19.exe (Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.)
    AMD64-all-windows-kb890830-x64-v4.19-delta.exe (Malicious Tool too - Should be this "delta" run too or not? I suppose not, since it is incremental update according me.)
    AMD64-all-windows8-rt-kb2771431-x64.msu (It can't be integrated directly.)

3. dippyweb

dippyweb MDL Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Install win8, enter to System Preparation (Sysprep), install Office and everything you want. finally capture the new install.wim ;) google it for quide :)

4. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    If you were to install Win8, install Office, do MS updates, and then capture the wim, i wonder if theres a way with DISM to apply the offline Office msp updates down the road to the install.wim, like you could do with .msu files and DISM.

5. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Thanks for your reply
    (googled it before writing here, but didn't find a real guide. Do sysprep and then Capture doesn't really help)

6. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #7 moderate, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    In case that you are responding to me... Thanks, but I only wanted to run several some EXEs (MS Updates) via SetupComplete.cmd after the install. I don't want to make dirty-custom installation, since it can complicate resolving problems (administration)...

7. panchop

panchop MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Why?

Sysprep is the best form to maintain a updated windows 8 install with office or any software, driver, etc.

Activation need to be executed apart, not on sysprep, but with a setupcomplete.cmd is easy.

8. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    When I said "Do sysprep and then Capture doesn't really help" I was not taking about the commands, but about "the guide" I was asking in the first post. So I was looking for a guide on how to do it , and all I got was "Do sysprep and then Capture". That was not what I call a guide.
    Nevermind I foud out reading/asking/searching on the net and with murphy78's help (he sent me a PM explaining everything) and I have my install.wim exactly as I wanted
    Thanks

9. darkmustang

darkmustang MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2012
    bertikul, could you share some of that info? I found this post by searching because I too am trying to do the same thing integrate office 2013 to Windows 8[h=2][/h]

10. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    bertikul,please would share this tutorial that murpy78 sent to you? thanks :biggrin:

11. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    rrohela,looking at the posts, one member said that it's possible to enter directly into audit mode after installing windows without the need to create a standard account via an xml file, how do I create this xml file, and where I put the iso?thanks :biggrin:

12. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    here is what murphy78 pm-ed me:

"I didn't exactly slipstream it. I did what's called a sysprepped image.

What you do is shrink your hd partition in half using the disk tools in control panel.
    Then you boot up your installer and install your target system on the unpartitioned space.
    Install it until it comes to the screen requesting user info, but don't enter any.. Press ctrl-shift-f3 and it will reboot into audit mode.
    This is how you install stuff without creating a user profile. You can create one, but you have to remove it from the registry if you do.

So when you're booted up into audit mode, a sysprep window will show... just ignore it until you're done integrating.
    Install Office, kb files, visual c runtimes etc...
    When you are satisfied, run cleanmgr.exe
    If you deleted the windows update downloaded files, you might have to reboot.

Then you check the generalize box if you want on your sysprep (generalize removes hardware and most user info from the registry (still have to remove users if you created a profile))
    Then allow sysprep to run and either reboot or shutdown.
    Do not reboot into the same install though... You want to capture the image.
    Reboot into your original parition (usually not the default one after newly installing the sysprep partition)

Capture the image using gimagex or imagex. Win8 captures can take quite a while because imagex is not setup to handle the extra file permissions, but it will work.
    You really should read a guide if you cannot figure out how to capture using gimagex. I figured it out fairly easily, but I have quite a bit of experience with the terminology.

So once you've captured the image, replace the new install.wim you captured in your \sources\ directory.
    I frequently use oscdimg and imagex from the windows ADK. You don't have to download the whole PE thing to get those tools.
    You can read about them using google searches... worked for me. If you get stuck feel free to hollar again."

Hope that helps

13. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    You can accomplish same under virtual machine & then map virtual disk & capture image to WIM.....

14. panchop

panchop MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    On Windows 8 it's not necesary to create an account via xml or anything. Only install and when starts the customization press and hold CTRL SHIFT AND F3...

15. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #20 murphy78, May 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Go into Control panel.
    ->System and Security
    ->Create and Format hard disk partitions
    Right click on your c: partition and shrink it. (will half it)

Install win8 on your unpartitioned space (After setup it will be a different drive letter for that partition)
    After the hardware setup portion when it gets to the user creation stuff, press ctrl+shift+f3 to reboot into audit-mode
    Ignore the sysprep window for now..
    Setup your OS how you like it...
    This means install Office, run dxwebsetup, run wuapp to download all the windows updates you feel like. You can even click the "find out more" button to download office updates.

When you are satisfied with your setup, you want to start cleaning it up in preparation for capture...
    This is done by first running cleanmgr.exe (delete any windows update downloads - If used, you'll need another reboot to finalize the deletes)
    Run a winsxs cleanup if you updated any system files:
    admin prompt:
    Code:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

When you are all done, click the generalize button if you want to remove hardware info to make the image optimal for others, or don't check it if you want to use it for just yourself.
    Run the sysprep shutdown. It should do a minor cleanup then either reboot or shutdown.

Now, this is important. Do NOT boot back into that partition.
    Select the other system during bootup (usually the non-default one will be your old c-drive OS)

Now that you have booted back into your system you need to capture the partition you just prepared.
    This can be done with a simple gimagex v2 capture.
    Open gimagex v2, click the capture tab, Set the appropriate data for the names and capture image.
    Ex: Win8 Office2013 x64
    and c:\temp\install.wim

Then point it at the drive that contains the OS you set up (prolly something like e: or f: )
    You can look through it to make sure it looks right. It won't mess up anything.
    Start your capture and go watch tv or something. If you do it right it will take like 45 mins for every few gigs. The reason is that win8 has tons of extra attributes for files that cannot be specified in a captured image and it will go through and spam your screen with all the warnings for tens of thousands of files. Don't worry, this is normal, albeit annoying.

When your capture is done, you can put the finishing touches on it by mounting, renaming, copying scripts folder stuff, etc.
    When satisfied, replace the old \sources\install.wim with the newly captured c:\temp\install.wim you just made.

I recommend making a backup of the captured install.wim before you mess with it since the capture takes so long.

It will NOT save any start screen pinned items. You either need to make a powershell script and a setupcomplete.cmd to allow powershell scripting, or just instruct ppl to right click the start menu and click the "all apps" button and add what they want (what I did)