intel atom

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by chara33, Oct 13, 2015.

1. chara33

chara33 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2015
    Opinions on Itel Atom cpu plz?

thx

2. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #2 Muerto, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

3. chara33

chara33 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2015
    If crap is your response that is good enough 4 me.

4. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Google the Passmark benchmarks for Intel Atom processors and compare them other processors. They are pretty weak. If you are just surfing the web it's probably okay. For other things, you will be clicking and waiting a while for things to happen.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Here, this would have been a good request.

So please elaborate what you need the Intel Atom for and we can help 1000 times better, we just need your input. How can you expect a good response from such a slither of a question? :D

Here I'll ask you, what do you require from an Intel Atom and what will you use it for?

6. chara33

chara33 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2015
    I appreciate your response. All questions require exact things it is used for in this forum to get an informative response. Well, to be honest I am not good at that so maybe some of u vets can help me with that.

However, the response above yours was answered just fine for the question i had. I just wanted to know if the stunk or not.

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It can run Windows XP perfectly well. The bad thing is that Microsoft has scraped it already.

8. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #8 Antilope, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    I owned a netbook about 5 or 6 years ago that used an Intel Atom processor, ran Windows XP and used a solid state disc drive (16gb - wow!). It took forever to boot up, 2 or 3 minutes at least. Surfing was okay, any other operation took ages. It was low power, that's about all you can say about it. It was kind to batteries. It wasn't very kind to me. ;) I tore my hair out waiting for things to happen after clicking. I sold it on Ebay and bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 (Pentium T4200) at the time. It wasn't any speed demon either, but it was vastly more speedy than the Atom cpu. I've since upgraded the Dell Inspiron 1545 to a Core 2 Duo T9600 and use it as my Linux Mint machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello chara33 - By and large, Intel Atom processors are designed to place low power consumption above performance, which makes them ideal for netbooks with 4 or 6 cell batteries. Keep one thing in mind: Netbooks are also designed to be low cost, and the vast majority came with just 1GB of system memory installed, which just so happens to be the minimum memory requirement for running Windows 7 and up. So don't expect stellar performance when running Windows on one.

My older brother has a HP Mini 210 which had Windows 7 Starter as the installed OS. The thing wasn't too bad when it was brand new, but as time wore on, boot times took longer and longer and the time needed for apps to open increased as well. I did some research and realized it was possible to upgrade the memory from 1GB to 2GB. That didn't do anything to improve boot times but it did help when running applications.

The best thing that happened was when he got careless and it got hit by some form of ransomware. I convinced him to wipe the drive, ditch Windows 7, and install Linux Mint. That combined with the 2GB memory upgrade transformed it entirely. Boot times are now 30 seconds instead of minutes and it's overall performance is much more snappy.

10. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #10 Muerto, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021