Intel D510 + hdd from acer notebook - Can't install windows without UEFI enabled?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by spkleader, Apr 13, 2014.

1. spkleader

spkleader MDL Senior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Howdy everyone!

Anyone on Earth can tell my WHY-oh-WHYYY I had to enable UEFI in my bios to be able to install Windows 8.1 with update in my pc?

D510Mo using na hdd from acer notebook. Removed the partition using diskpart, cleaned it... no joy!
    Windows setup says it couldn't install in that disk and I had to check the install logs (where the hell those logs are saved?)

Anyone knows why? I'm missing something?
    There where no GPT partition on disc, no nothing...

Thanks in advance!

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Sounds like the Install Media was booted using UEFI mode not the Legacy one. Did you disable Secure Boot completely and change the Boot to Legacy?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    s1ave77: Odd enough, Windows 7 USB tool failed to transfer the iso to my pendrive, so I've used YUMI to create my pendrive with windows 8 installer... UEFI was disabled in the bios.
    That would be the issue?

Also, this UEFI 'requirement' can be something in the hdd firmware?

4. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    how about making the pen drive in NTFS with a computer with windows 7 or 8 installed
    in mbr mode?

format it and make sure you can do from command prompt

bootsect /nt60 /mbr (windows drive). I have UEFI and MBR
    If I make it in FAT32 with a running uefi setup, it becomes uefi.
    Tried it with an old windows 7 mbr computer and formatted in ntfs it goes MBR mode only.

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If you want to try to force it to boot without uefi, you can format it with ntfs partition.
    It *can* boot on a fat32 partition in either uefi or bios boot.

Most systems let you specify to either boot from "UEFI: " device or other version.
    In this case you would want other version.
    If it won't let you choose other version, you might try the ntfs bios-boot method.
    If that fails, I wouldn't know what to tell you.

You might try reading about this stuff on the vendor's forum or something though..
    We don't know what every bios's options are.

6. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    Been browsing around and found a post from Murphy78 telling about Rufus.
    Formatted my pendrive using it, made it 'mixed mode' and voila! Problem solved.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

SpkLeader