Intel DG33BU (S. 775) doesn't pass POST with external PCIe VGA

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mkarras, Feb 9, 2018.

1. mkarras

mkarras MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2014
    #1 mkarras, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Hello everybody,

I have been building a "recycled" PC for a friend who wants to play some undemanding games (specifically, Skyrim), and after having everything ready, I find that the system doesn't go beyond the first screen of the POST when it uses an external PCIe graphic. With the integrated graphic there is, in principle, no problem (except that it is useless, of course).

I have tried with the graphics card selected for the build, an XFX R7 260x, with another 260x from MSI and with a Gigabyte R5 230. The same problem occurs with all of them: the signal reaches the screen, starts to load, but gets stuck in the Intel logo and does not pass from there, without being possible to do anything (doesn't respond even to enter the BIOS configuration).

I have updated the MB to the latest BIOS available on the Intel website (from 2009) and the problem persists. Touching in the BIOS options did nothing, despite having tried everything or almost everything. I've also tried booting with a single DIMM, disconnected the rest of devices, and still nothing ...

Can you think of any advice? I'm very frustrated

The complete specifications are:

MB: Intel DG33BU
    CPU: C2Q Q9550 (tested with a Q6600 and neither)
    GPU: XFX R7 260x (tested with MSI R7 260x and Gigabyte R5 230)
    RAM: 4x2GB DDR2 Crucial (tested with a single DIMM)
    HDD: Seagate 320GB SATA
    PSU: Tacens Anima APII 500W
    SO: None, I have not been able to install it yet (and I understand that it does not make sense to install it with the integrated graphics, because then the problem will come back, since it happens outside the OS)

Thank you in advance.

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Are you sure the connector is not faulty? I would suggest you try to test the graphics cards in other system first.

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #3 Joe C, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mkarras

mkarras MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2014
    Thank you for your answers.

The three cards have been tested in other machines. They work perfectly.

As for the PSU, yes, it's a budget one, although it meets the nominal requirements (26A in the +12v rail). I have an Enermax 650w 80Plus Bronze for myself. But I tell you the PSU is not the problem, as it persists with the R5 230, which has very low power consumptiom.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Have you checked the connector? Bring the mobo out of the casing and do the test on the graphics.

7. mkarras

mkarras MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2014
    Thank you both for your interest.

The R5 230 is a rebranded HD6450...power requirements for this VGA are minimal.

Sorry, I think I don't understand you...you mean the PCIe connector? Why should I take the mobo out of the case to test it?