Intel DX38BT with different BIOS ID

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by 24q6hr, Mar 25, 2014.

1. 24q6hr

24q6hr MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2011
    Hi,
    I have a strange board. It's an Intel DX38BT (eval) with different BIOS ID than usual. Normally the ID is BTX3810J but my board has number 2 instead of number 1 (the reason why I do not want to simple type it as a whole is I do not want to be searchable by any search engine as it is actually not searchable anywhere by Google). The BIOS in this board is very old (eval, some 2006 I think) and the board does not recognize lots of nowadays memory modules (and POSTs very long time, about a minute before something even shows on a screen, one might think that it's bricked). Flash tools says the BIOSID's do not match of course. Also the board says that the AA number is not programmed.

I searched through the forum and found similar problem and tried to modify the ID in the new BIOS version. I extracted all modules using Phoenix Tools, then changed ALL BTX3810J to .....2.. but realized that when the Phoenix tool recompiles the firmware it probably doesn't use the DUMPed files since the reconstructed firmware image is the same as the source (I just checked the "no SLIC" check).

Can somebody help me? Thanks.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. 24q6hr

24q6hr MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2011
    Yes. I took a 256MB USB flash key, formatted as FAT16 (just for sure) and putted only the BT2006P.BIO file. Removed the jumper, turned the mobo on and after a whole minute (1 minute and 5 second to be exact) the drive LED blinked once and after about five seconds blinked fast for about another 5 seconds (probably as the image was loaded). Then after about 20 seconds the mobo turned off and after few seconds again on and the procedure is repeating endlessly. During the procedure nothing is displayed on the screen. After about 6 tries I installed the jumper back and turned on the mobo and entered the Setup. Still there is the old eval firmware. Probably even recovery update cannot flash the mobo with firmware with different ID.

In fact, it's not exactly DX38BT, it's DX38BTW, something that intel's web isn't aware of (even the AA number is different from the DX38BT). The boards are identical at first sight but there are small differencies: slightly different port arrangement at the I/O block (but the ports are the same), BTW has no heatsinks around CPU socket, there's no intel-skull painted on the board but a lots of small bones around the board and there are some very small chip differencies (some chips are missing, some are extra, there is even a reset switch integrated). I assume it's some pre-production version for testing and reviews (like OEM but not really OEM) and it should be possible to crossflash, but no success so far. I'm quite sure it's impossible to find correct firmware for this version of board.

Could there be a possibility to flash the firmware in external programmer? The SPI flash is in a socket so it's removable. Probably the best way would be to find another SPI of the same size (or better the same kind) and … you know ;).

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't have much idea about flashing with external programmer.

:nosweat:

5. 24q6hr

24q6hr MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2011
    I'll give it a try (some day, my friend who is able to do it lives a bit far from me). I'll post a feedback in any case when (if) we will do it.

6. 24q6hr

24q6hr MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2011
    OK, this will take some time since i don't have any real DX38BT or DX48BT2 mobo.