Intel graphics driver crashing and recovering!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by spidey180, Dec 4, 2013.

1. spidey180

spidey180 MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2010
    After waking up my laptop screen, the Intel driver will stop responding and trigger a driver recovery - the error "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered".
    This problem never arose in Windows 8. I'm using the ones provided by windows update. Tried clean install of windows too, and tried re-installing another driver "8.15.10.2900" but no dice. :(

Specifications:
    Windows 8.1 RTM(with all the latest windows updates)
    Intel 1st gen i3 370M
    H55 M Chipset
    4GB RAM
    128GB SSD 830(Samsung)
    Capture.PNG

2. eydee

eydee Guest

Never ever do that.

3. vlajind

vlajind MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2010
    By looking at the screen shot provided, it seems to me that you're using Win7 driver. Install appropriate driver for Windows 8.1, the one from Intel's site and things should be fine afterwards.

4. spidey180

spidey180 MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2010
    Intel has marked the first-gen Core (Arrandale/Clarkdale) as legacy drivers. Officially, driver support for the first-gen Core CPU's are via Windows Update only. However, the drivers they make available on Windows Update are essentially the same drivers for Windows 7.(Modding INF's don't work too). :(

The Intel driver update utility when run says device not supported. :(
    HELP!! :eek:

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. david_xross_2

david_xross_2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Try installing OEM Drivers for your graphics card..Most of the time they work (even if they are for an older OS with a similar underlying architecture)...And don't trust Windows Update drivers for obvious compatibility reasons

7. vlajind

vlajind MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2010
    Sorry, but there's no win8/win8.1 driver available for your hardware - Intel Core Processor with Intel HD Graphics - on Intel's site.
    Have a look at this solution on 'eightforums.com/graphic-cards/4418-mobile-intel-series-4-intel-hd-graphics-1st-generation.html', it might work for you.

8. spidey180

spidey180 MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2010
    Thank you but those won't install on my system. :(
    (those are for windows 8 but I'm on 8.1, it should work but it doesn't)

9. Passa

Passa MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2009
    This appears to be an issue with first gen Core graphics and only Windows 8.1. I have a ThinkPad X201 (i5-520m) and it too has this issue since the update from Windows 8 to 8.1.

Event log has virtually no info other than that the display driver crashed. Any way I can get more detailed info?

10. spidey180

spidey180 MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2010
    Sorry to bump an old thread!
    Dennis over at neowin and timo2 at intel support community posted a solution.
    The culprit is f.lux(from justgetflux.com), after disabling it the driver didn't crash yet!
    The developer has been notified!
    Let me know if this helps.:)

11. Passa

Passa MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2009
    Don't apologise for bumping, this issue has been driving me mad! I use f.lux and I suspect all those with the issue also use it. Hopefully the f.lux devs get a fix, because I don't think Intel will be issuing one!

12. manu198045

manu198045 MDL Member

Aug 24, 2010

Dear All,

I have a PC, which is Intel Dual Core 3.0 GHz with 2GB Ram on a G41 Intel Chipset Motherboard. I got my Graphics driver from windows update only. Till now (past 5 months) I have no problem. See the picture. I have updated many times from windows updates for many of my clients where they use various chipsets.

System pic.jpg

Regards,

Manu

13. Passa

Passa MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2009
    That's not an Intel HD Graphics iGPU though, that'd be the Intel 4500MHD.

From the looks of things on the Neowin thread, this bug with f.lux is restricted to first gen Intel HD Graphics

14. manu198045

manu198045 MDL Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Hi,

I am talking about updating drivers from windows update is not the problem that's all.

Thanks

Manu

15. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #17 Aninvitedsoul, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

Updating drivers from Windows update has been a great failure in most cases.It's not recommended,by most users, to use windows drivers update.Some cases of problem free drivers update don't qualify MS to be the dependable drivers updater.I suggest trying the most suitable tested drivers which give the best performance.It needs some time to test a bunch of different drivers that suites individual use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. lllFATAL1TY

lllFATAL1TY MDL Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Question:

I have use my off-board gfx to play and i found out i can use Intel QuickSync + MSI Afterburner to capture my gameplays (without no performance penalty)

ok, i have enabled iGPU in bios, installed the Intel HD/Iris Driver and everything works correct

but my doubt is if i can install only the "raw driver" for the iGPU, i mean, without the extra things (Intel Control Panel, etc.)

how i do that?

17. lllFATAL1TY

lllFATAL1TY MDL Member

Dec 21, 2013
    think i found out:

:p