Intel HD Graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon 8970M.. potential clash?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by rednip3, Oct 31, 2015.

1. rednip3

rednip3 MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2013
    Hi all,

The other half purchased an MSi All-in-one Gaming Series from Amazon this time a year ago- it has always has a series of rather strange, graphics related problems.

On several occasions the graphics cards have decided that they don't want to work properly (today for example), and start with strange behaviours e.g. continually blue flickering screen straight after the MSi splash/boot screen. I have found that it's down to the AMD GPU and usually have to boot into safe mode, disable this and then re-enable it once Windows boots properly. Sometimes this works, other times I have to completely uninstall the drivers for it and reinstall them again. All I really want to know is.. what a reason for this and is there any sort long term fix?

The computer is an MSi AG2712A running Windows 8.1 64 bit.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3630M @2.40GHz
    RAM: 16 GB Dual-Channel DDR3
    Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MS-AF151
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000
    2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD8970M

Any guidance is greatly appreciated :D

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I am using Intel HD Graphics 4000. It seems to be very stable and I have received updates on it more than one occasion in Windows 10. Without doubt it is minimal in gaming experience when compared to the AMD Radeon 8970M.

3. rednip3

rednip3 MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2013
    I definitely agree with this, the Intel driver is stable and I don't really encounter issues with it, it's just the AMD Catalyst Device Driver, for some reason the computer really doesn't like it. I'll keep at it and see if I get any results.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Using this same combo, never had a single issue (on 7 & 8.1)

sebus

5. rednip3

rednip3 MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2013
    That's what I mean- it's such a strange situation because it should just work. I'm starting to think it could be another driver conflict.

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Are you using the MSI drivers? Sometimes it's better to use the manufacturer's drivers as they have been modified.
    If it still plays up I'd take a photo & get warranty on the unit. Should have 2 years warranty...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. rednip3

rednip3 MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2013
    Initially I was, however it was still playing up then. So I thought that an update to the official drivers may do it good, but it didn't so I reverted but I think it may have confused it a bit. I may take to completely uninstalling both graphics driver sets and then reinstalling the Intel Chipset Driver and the ATI AMD Driver provided. I'm not very keen on the Catalyst installer, since it seems to decide what you need and what you don't need, when that may not be right.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Try the AMD GPU in another pc if you can to see if it acts up, if it does, then RMA that card for a new one

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. rednip3

rednip3 MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2013
    I'll give this a try.. if possible. The all in one is quite a well sealed unit quite like a laptop so may take some messing to get to the mobo. Not currently near the computer but as soon as I get chance I'll attempt and update this.

10. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I do not think that to unsolder the GPU would be a good idea... (just kidding, honestly that is NOT something you can test in another machine!)

sebus

11. rednip3

rednip3 MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2013
    I was under the impression that it was removable as the AMD card is a Mobility card. However, I think that removing it anyway would be virtually pointless with it still having warranty. I can't help but think it's some sort of driver clash as the system is sound in every other way (other than an issue with the disk drive). It just seems strange that when I disable the AMD card in device manager the computer runs fine off of the Intel Chipset. It looks like a software problem, but the blue flickering screen isn't something I've seen with graphics drivers on other computers.

12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I wouldn't bother opening it up at all if it's under warranty. Even if the AMD GPU was removable you won't be able to test it anyway.
    Best you'd do is clean the contacts & re-install it.
    Are you running with the latest bios? You can email their tech support as well. Sometimes they have beta bios that resolves issues but never update to final on the msi site...

13. rednip3

rednip3 MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2013
    I think sending it back is probably going to be the best bet. The postage will cost quite a bit because of how heavy the unit is... Time for backups!
    In regards to the bios, its the latest and only bios for the all-in-one and no beta is available.
    Thank you :)