Intel HD Graphics on Windows 8.1 - a driver problem

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ATOS, Dec 29, 2017.

1. ATOS

ATOS MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2014
    Problem is as follows:
    I had Windows 8.1 installed on a Dell Inspiron N5040, which has a Pentium P6200 CPU with an Intel HD Graphics Ironlake GPU. Dell's support website claims that this is an unsupported configuration, but in some manner or other, I had it running happily. Last night, I foolishly decided to give Windows 10 a spin before researching any driver compatibility, and wiped the 8.1 install in the process. Of course, there were no graphics drivers available. Oh well, I thought, a fresh start doesn't hurt, and installed 8.1 once again. And to great frustration, I could not get the graphics drivers to work!

-The installer from Intel's website (Intended for Win7, run in compatibility mode for 7 and as an Administrator) claims to have installed, but actually seems to have no effect

-The driver from Dell's website (also, Win7, compatibility, as Admin) errors with "The setup failed to install one or more device drivers"

I've been googling for hours, and have come upon nothing. Can anyone help me in this plight?

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Have you tried windows update to see if that installs a chipset/video driver?
    The chipset driver may contain the intel video driver you need so you might have better luck finding a chipset driver for Windows 8/8.1

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
  4. ATOS

ATOS MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2014
    Actually worked. I guess I should learn to trust the MS drivers and Windows Update a bit more. Welp, thank you very much.