Intel Optane Memory 2021

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ohenry, Feb 6, 2021.

1. ohenry

ohenry MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I did a search here, and found nothing newer than 2018. Which in computer terms is ancient history.

A google search did not find any solid information, no authoritative reviews with benchmarks etc.

Most of what I found indicates that if you have already have your OS and applications on an SSD drive (which I think most people do by now), there is not much use in adding Intel Optane Memory to, in effect, cache your spinning hard drives.

What's the wisdom here on MDL? I assume it's probably not favored or there would have been more posts about it.

2. If you already have SSD attached to Sata3 Port then i think theres no any need to buy Optane Memory.

if you have SSD attached to Sata2 Port means you are trying to bottleneck your SSD Hence Never ever use SSD on Sata2 port . if your Motherboard dont have Sata3 port available then you might go for M2.PCIE based Solid State Disk plus Storite PCIE to M2 Convertor RAID Based ( it is good to go for PC Express Card on PCIE Slot either Gen 2 or 3).

If you want to use HDD 7200RPM Sata3 for Win Installation then deffinitely theres a need to buy Optane Memory to Speed up Cache of file transfers & open softwares fastly.
    never ever go for 16gb Optane as its a waste of money . 32gb or 64gb is good to go.

i hope my explanation is clean & clear hence i assume query is resolved.

3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    The problem with Optane broadly speaking is that it is a product with massive potential attached to insurmountable downsides.

The upside is that it is very good at doing low latency simultaneous reads and writes of small files, something your OS does quite a bit of.

The downsides though are pretty terrible:

Price to gigabyte ratio is worse than even the most expensive NAND products.
    Overall storage capacity is very low by modern standards.
    The only Optane products compatible with a standard M.2 2280 interface are the 16, 32, 64 (58) and 128 (118) GB parts and the largest drives are quite expensive.
    Optane drives with useful capacities come in M.2 22110, U.2 and PCIe add in card configurations making compatibility an issue.
    Used in Optane cache mode you have a long list of requirements to satisfy and if your ever have a system failure the recovery procedure is NOT novice friendly.
    Caching works pretty well BUT you really only get the full potential out of Optane cache if you use the 64 (58) or 128 (118) GB modules and these did not ever come preinstalled in Optane accelerated laptops.
    Intel does not officially support any of the truly amazing Optane cache scenarios, even though they work flawlessly. For example I have tested the 118GB 800P and 280GB 900P as Optane cache this functions beautifully. Intel claims that this setup does not even work and will not support it officially.

I have tested Optane quite a bit over the past 2 years and while I have used it in a few niche cases, I just cannot recommend it. Here are the only cases where I currently use Optane:

Asus Vivibook Pro upgraded to 2TB SATA SSD + 58GB 800P as Optane cache. <- I built and support 4 of these laptops. At the time the 2TB SATA SSD + 58GB 800P were the same price as a 2TB NVMe SSD BUT the Optane acceleration provides nearly 3 times the 4KQ1T1 performance of NVMe NAND.
    My personal workstation uses 4 380GB 905P Optane 22110 drives in VROC RAID 0. I need lots of sequential speed and lots of 4KQ1T1 speed and this combination is pretty much unbeatable, its just way too expensive for anything other than niche cases.
    Single 380GB 905P 22110 drive in my NUC9i9QNX that I use as my portable workstation.

4. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    I have a laptop with a 16GB sandisk for caching and boots my machine like in three seconds works real well lots people tell whats point sense i already have a 240GB ssd but i don't see any bottle necks so i left it their.

upload_2021-2-8_8-17-47.png

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017

I've been happy with my use cases as well but I have also been in IT since the early Windows 98 days. Whenever I evaluate a product in terms of suggesting it to others, I ask how my mom would deal with setting it up and using it. Optane is many MANY levels beyond what she could figure out even with me on the phone helping her out.