Intel or AMD?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Cheevo, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Cheevo

Cheevo MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2015
    Which do you prefer and why? What do you take into account when buying or building a new computer, the cpu brand and does it have a big role in what you want out of it? Does AMD build mean a computer will underperform in the long run compared to intel?

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    AMD is more for the budget minded. They are slower, run hotter & the chipsets are lacking... Intel all the way.
    I'm happy to run with an AMD video cards though (even though the drivers seem to nearly always be in beta).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I do not know of any reason why somebody should want it (I mean AMD), but these reasons, why not, they are many, even too many.
    But What do take into account?
    How many cores, of course, what is the stroke frequency (operating frequency), maybe also RAM and SSD/HDD, network card etc.
    The fewer additional company special adds, the better.
    Look at which company pc's have constantly problems - can not be upgraded, can not use some of the programs, do not start up correctly, do not turn off completely, goes so hot, that turns itself off etc.
    I would say, what certainly not, but it would be advertising or anti advertising...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    For the majority of folks that just surf, get their email and shop an AMD system would work o.k. and they'll never kbnow what they have and they probably do not care either. Then we have those folks that like to have better performance, edit video and into gaming, those are the Intel i5 and i7 folks
    If you want a cheap pc off the shelf from best buy, it'll be an AMD set up. If you build your own for gaming, then it'll be an Intel set up

Today it is not a choice of "whats better" but more for what suits your needs

5. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    #5 Soulfate, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    I need multi-thread performances for music, video and other multi-threaded processes but I've not a lot of money. A FX-8320E + 25$ CPU fan is good enough to climb up to 4,3 GHz and the CPU heat dissipation is better on AMD CPU than Intel's, so the CPU won't be hotter and performance will be same as for an Intel's i5, but at the price of 50%. But AMD's solutions will need a discret GPU and not Intel's, so if you don't need graphical power, that is relevant.

I need a gaming computer, Intel CPUs are better because they are optimized and they are more power per thread. Actual games are limited when they have to use multi-threading (DirectX 9/10/11 software limitation). We do not really know if DirectX 12 or Vulkan APIs will really help multi-threading for gaming on 4-threaded (or more) CPUs and we do not really know if these APIs will reduce bottleneck on AMD CPUs enough to make it insignificant. In theory, these APIs will help a lot, so FX-83** could be good enough to run next-gen D3D 12 or Vulkan games without significant bottleneck. I'm keeping in mind that AMD is the only one to have a good 4 threads CPU for only ~70$ (Athlon X4 860K) and some games need 4 threads... So, actually, I can't say if AMD's CPUs are future-proof for gaming.

I need a Web or multimedia oriented computer (not gaming), both are really good. Personnally, I will prefer AMD A8 APUs solutions and not buy low-end discret GPU to keep my money. With AMD APUs, you can play with games that doesn't need big graphical power. If Pentium with good iGPU are released, I will reconsider it.

But in every cases, AMD's or Intel's CPUs are future-proof. I prefer the AMDs CPUs quality (CPU heat dissipation is better than Intel's) and AMD motherboard's sockets generally live longer than Intel's. But in 2016, AMD will change its sockets, as Intel.

Analyze is based on scenari. Please precise for what you want to build a computer and we will help you to build the more coherent computer.

6. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    #6 Soulfate, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    My FX-6300 OC @ 4,4 GHz with 25$ fan is between 40 and 50°C after 10 minutes of 100% usage. Actually, for a Web + music listening usage, it is at 20°C. The CPU won't suffer at all.
    I prefer my own numbers that the "well known" numbers on the Web.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    We do need to look at Thermal Design Power ratings, and the i5 4690K is a few degrees cooler TDP.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    look at how many 2006 amd laptops are broken to same year intel core duo still running.
    they do run hot.. but for desktop its more doable.
    ill stick to intels tho.

9. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    ive built my last 3 putters and they were all amd "i just like AMD" the last one has a fx-8350 with water cooling and its over clocked, ssd 240 gig hard drive it plays games and does what I need !some people like Chevy some people like ford what ever floats your boat works :biggrin:

10. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #10 Muerto, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

11. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    We are not talking about GPU. We are talking about CPU. The word "nVidia" shouldn't appear here. NEVER.

12. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    AMD is good for gaming and overclocking for those who needs it but I prefer Intel for speed and quality.

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    This is the OP's first post here and AMD vs Intel has and will always be controversial, lets not get sux'd into something that trolls can feed on

14. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Been AMD since forever, constantly lagging behind in benchmarks compared to Intel setups with the same GPU

Building a new Skylake machine hopefully before Xmas, already ditched AMD GPUs for NVIDIA

AMD is dead, has been for a while now

15. Cheevo

Cheevo MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2015
    I guess when Zen comes out should see if AMD can stay in the market. I used AMD builds for emulation and compared to the old Pentiums 4s, my quad suffers anything after gen 6 it's true you need the clock speed more than physical cores (where AMD beats intel over raw cores) also the instruction sets need to be more updated with AMD, intel on the other hand is always updating theirs it's a battle over the makers. I like my AMD APU but I wish for more speed unless I am watching a movie or browsing, which is why I have more than 1 computer (also in case something goes wrong with this one I can switch over) I like experimenting when both intel and amd just too see what's what.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Intel put the nail in AMD coffin when it came out with the "i" series chips, from there on AMD has made attempts to regain the market but today, Intel stands way out in front. That's not saying AMD makes a bad chip, but it can not catch up with Intel's Haswell, Broadwell and Skylake chips and Intel is not letting up on developing new series chips. Meanwhile AMD has came out with a new chip...??? when? I can't recall when they had something new within the last couple years. AMD needs to get off their asses and start doing something today

17. Cheevo

Cheevo MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2015
    It's not coming out till 2016 it looks promising.

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    From my first build I've liked the AMD chips, so I really hope AMD can pull a rabbit out of their butts and give Intel a run for their money

19. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    AMD are gone, bankrupt, 18% market share, selling off parts of their company, selling rebrands over and over, they can't even pull their own heads out of their butts, let alone a rabbit

20. YukinoAi

YukinoAi MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2015
    Which do you prefer and why?
    In terms of CPU, it depends but almost always AMD. Intel systems are faster but AMD ones are cheaper and more full featured because Intel segments their markets by limiting instruction sets. Not saying it doesn't make sense, but it does irritate me they do that on desktop systems (most if Intel's markets are phones/tablets/laptops).

What do you take into account when buying or building a new computer, the cpu brand and does it have a big role in what you want out of it?

I always build. A computer system is limited by the slowest component on the system and so it almost always makes sense to take money away from the CPU and put it into the storage by getting a second or third hard disk/ssd. This is essentially the concept WEI was trying to convey to consumers. Spending extra for a fast Intel CPU may give you warm fuzzies on the inside, but the real world performance for the money spent will be lousy with Intel. I'd rather have a theoretically 20% slower CPU with programs that always load twice as fast. Having both gets very expensive very quickly and I've never not been “on a budget.” The more money spent, the more hard drives you can have, the faster your computer.

That said, AMD hasn't released anything worth while in years but Intel has. The A-series cpus are really niche products. Intel continues to have a lower TDP (important for laptops and smaller systems). AMD chipsets are one generation behind. The manufacturing process for AMD chips is several generations behind.

Computing is always about the new technology, and since it seems like AMD has left the desktop market. My next CPU will be Intel unless AMD shows it's still invested by dramatically increasing their single threaded performance in their next release. It should at least be comparable to Intel's.

Also, I'm looking into Qubes OS using IOMMU for the video card in a Windows VM and that's Intel-only since AMD has no workstation class chips that also have integrated graphics. With AMD I'd need a dual-gpu system and that's a no-no. I'd also like to virtualize OSX, and that's Intel only unless I want compatibility headaches (that's because Apple is an ass, not AMD's fault).

Does AMD build mean a computer will underperform in the long run compared to intel?

Depends. I've found that that Intel systems can be upgraded much easier since the CPU won't need to be replaced for a while. Although upgrading the CPU/Mobo on an AMD system is quite inexpensive. But most people don't upgrade their systems, they replace them. For built systems, an AMD one will outperform since it will always be faster due to better storage architecture. For purchased systems, an Intel one will outperform since purchased systems have a single hard disk so it's much more of an apples to apples comparison. For laptops, where low TDP is king, always go Intel, the Intel one will have a longer overall life before needing replacement than an AMD one.