Intel Rapid Storage Tech and Write Buffer

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Taliseian, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Taliseian

Taliseian MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2013
    My motherboard (Asus P6T SE) needs me to install the Intel RST Drivers, otherwise all of hard drives show in the taskbar as being able to be ejected similar to a USB Drive.

I took a look at the Intel app and I think they recommended that I go to each drive and "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" and let the Intel drivers manage that -- at least I *think* that's what they want.

I'm honestly not sure so I figured I should post here and ask if anyone else has experience with something like this.

I do not have an UPS connected so I'm a little worried about losing data.

The Asus site has a much earlier version of the Intel drivers listed as something to install and they are also on the CD that came with the board.

So, do I turn off Windows write-caching and let the Intel drivers handle it for better performance or no? I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit and a Xeon X5680 hexacore 3.33GHz with 6gb ram.

Thanks in advance...

T

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I have an Asus P8Z77-V PRO Mobo and could never get the Intel rapid storage drivers to install properly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    You can't use the newest ones with the older chipsets try this one Intel Rapid Storage 12.9.0.1001
    Also don't turn off the write cache buffer! You also need 2 reboots to get the drivers installed properly.