intel server UEFI mod needed

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by DracoDan, Mar 28, 2022.

1. DracoDan

DracoDan MDL Novice

May 3, 2012
    First time posting so please go easy on me...

The problem: I have a server chassis that holds 4x Intel S2600JF servers. I had a free PCI-E x4 slot in each so I decided to use a cheaper adapter board to give me an M.2 PCI-e slot for running a fast SSD that will act as my cache drive for a VMware vSAN. The SSD is detected and works perfectly, but with the card inserted in the server the fans run at full speed (20k RPM!!!) at all times. This is a common issue where servers do their thermal control based off of supported hardware and if you run unsupported hardware the servers just run the fans at 100%.

I tried doing some searching but it looks like everyone is just doing SLIC mods. What I need is a modified UEFI image that disables or modifies the table that causes the server to go act this way. I have quite a bit of IT experience so I had hoped maybe I could modify the image myself using UEFITool to add the PCI_ID of my devices but I'm not even sure where to start and of course I don't want to brick a server.

Server model: Intel S2600JF
    I'm trying to figure out how to attach the CAP file...

2. DracoDan

DracoDan MDL Novice

May 3, 2012
    Can someone at least tell me if I'm asking in the right place, missing information, or if this is even possible?

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Have you looked at the System Event Log? Use the (SEL) Viewer Utility. It will tell you why the fans are at full speed.

Usually with the bios updates there is FRU/SDR updates too. You should be able to edit the SDR (Sensor Data Record) file.
    Sample from file BTP_BMC.SDR (S1200BTL_S1200BTLRM_SUP_EFI_BIOS41_BMC1.17_FRUSDR1.16):
    Code:
    _SDR_TAG    'FAN_2'
    _REC_LEN    0039

// Sensor Record Header
       000E               // Record ID
       51                 // SDR Version
       01                 // Record Type
       34                 // Record Length
       //------------------------------------------------------------------//
       88                 // Normal Reading (88h == 11800 RPM)
       FF                 // Normal Maximum (FFh == 22000 RPM)
       12                 // Normal Minimum (12h == 1600 RPM)
       //------------------------------------------------------------------//
       FF                 // Sensor Maximum Reading (FFh == 22000 RPM)
       00                 // Sensor Minimum Reading (00h == 0 RPM)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hunterrules0_0

Hunterrules0_0 MDL Member

Nov 27, 2021
    Im pretty sure theres programs that allow you to control your fan speed. but in case those dont work I could try modding it. Can you please tell me if AMI, or Phoenix. Thank you