Intel's radical Optane next-gen SSD

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by AcuraTML, Aug 23, 2015.

1. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I would love to have such SSD on my system.

3. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
  4. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
  5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    sounds expensive:rolleyes:

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    They state that it will be cheaper to produce because they are not using transistors like they do with nand ram today. It's going to make for a very interesting drive in the near future. If my memory serves me right, the first ssd's were very small too, and very pricey. Something like $1000. for a 32gb drive

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    The same phenomena existed with TFT displays when they first came out. The yields were very low until the process technology came up to speed.

Once they 'tool up', the prices will drop. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Yet, my recently purchased HP tower came with a cheap conventional 3 1/2 in drive. And it does the job well, like my old XP used to do. I'm probably getting old and stingy, but I am perfectly happy with it, and wouldn't spend more even for an SSD.

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Seriously?
    Have you ever owned a pc with a SSD in it?

10. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Of course it's serious, does it look like a joke?
    And no, I haven't owned an SSD, I don't need to own one to know that it's fast. I only need to know that my PC is more than fast enough, and I'm not possessed by the vanity of owning the latest and fastest in computing or anything.

11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Katzen: I have a SSD and it was the best investment I ever made. No noise, lower power consumption, incredible performance.

Try it...you'll like it. ;)

12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    Fair enough, I'll have your esteemed advice in mind. At the moment, my HD is noiseless to the point that I don't know if it's working hard, while economy thru lower power consumption is difficult to achieve when you pay a high price up front. And there are still question marks regarding SSD life span.

But when my PC starts getting slower, or disc errors appear, I'll seriously consider your advice, especially as by then SSDs should be better and cheaper.

13. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    The advantages of having an SSD over a mechanical hard disk in a system need not to be over-emphasized. However it may take some part of your budget to get it and it worth having it at the end.

14. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Intel wasting our time with their market tactics
    just like when they released Intel G2 SSD

Innovation << marketing - today state

15. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Intel is not even the pioneer of the SSD product. There is no argument that it is a reputable tech company that has given us some of the best processors out there, despite your disagreement with their products. There is still no better rival of the tech company when it comes to new generational processors for computers yet. It is the best we have.

16. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Yeah there's that Intel vs. AMD thing...But I've always liked Intel for CPUs. Of course, everybody has their favorites. :)

IMHO, Samsung is the best SSD out there. (Right now)

But that can change in an instant. ;)

17. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
  18. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #18 Hadron-Curious, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Samsung often goes to the extreme to give us the best and in the process of doing that come the consequences. Either the products are too expensive for the average buyers or have a few lifespan. Indeed I admire the intensity in which it increased the sizes and speed of the latest SSD variants and they can only be imagined in the past to be possible.

19. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Samsung make good products in general...when they don't explode.

But I come back to the subject of noiseless drives. In my old PC, I could hear the drive and knew at every instant how hard it was working. Also, the power light was flickering. My new drive, though still mechanical, is noiseless while the light remains steady. Now, I'm not saying that the noise was better, but I do miss the constant feedback it provided.

20. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Intel have the best SSD lifespan, lower RMA in many area not just SSD
    their QA is best, cant make their functionality break
    I agree that Samsung make more extreme changes to make products better
    but still Intel is best fmo