Interesting problem - activating Win7 Enterprise

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gcole09, Jan 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gcole09

gcole09 MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2011
    Purchased a new computer off eBay that came with the Win7 Enterprise time-limited demo - mobo is Foxconn G31S with no SLIC data. I am trying to get it completely activated and genuine without having to reinstall down to Ultimate, and I feel that I'm fairly close; I admit that I don't have much experience with running around Win7 activation, though.

My first thought was to replace my trial key (which I didn't copy - oops) with the KMS client key and use KMS activation, which I'm fairly certain won't work without present SLIC data.

As a result of my oops in the key replacement, Win7 instantly dropped to non-genuine activate now. Next stop was to use HAL7600, which originally failed to correct the activate now issue until I rearmed it by hand. Now Win7 shows as genuine and it's no longer locked down - but I sporadically receive a windows license pop up that warns me that using a volume license key without upgrading is a violation of my software agreement.

I could live with it, but it is rather annoying. What would a solution be? (I've been considering WindSLIC-related fixes and other ways of getting valid SLIC data so that KMS activation will work, but I figured I should check with your collective wisdom first, since I feel like I've already messed up a few times)

Thanks in advance.

2. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Short version: Your BIOS is missing the Windows Marker.

Solution: Flash a BIOS that has the Windows Marker.

Alternative solutions: None

I hope this answers your questions. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gcole09

gcole09 MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2011
    If this is the case - will installing Ultimate with DAZ loader or another SLIC solution work, or will I need to modify my BIOS no matter what?

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It will :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...