Internal HD question

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Skeetmann, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Skeetmann

Skeetmann MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    Hi, I have an older WDC HD that is 2 TB that I use as an internal storage for movies from a security camera system. Over the past several months, I get an error message from the GeoVision recording software that it can no longer record to the drive. Sure enough, when I check Win7, the "D" drive is completely missing. However, upon re-start of the PC, the HD shows-up correctly in the BIOS and will appear in Win7 fine.

I have spent hours on the phone with GeoVision, ASUS (who makes the MB), and WDC, with all of them pointing fingers at the others. I have reset & changed the CMOS battery, swapped out the SATA ports and cables and it ran for 6 days and then lost connectivity again.

As well, I have done a low-level format on the "D" a couple of times, re-formatted multiple times, run scandisk, and run a multitude of commercial programs designed to test for bad sectors or HD problems. The HD is also SMART enabled and has never had an indicator go off.

Additionally, I have had the PC on for the past week, but have NOT been running the GeoVision software and the "C" drive (Win7 dir) and the "D" drive never lost connectivity. So, at this point, while I do understand the HD could be going bad, I would tend to think after months of this that the problem would have gotten worse, but it has not changed. Additionally, if the HD had bad sectors, the low level formats should have removed those so they are no longer recognized. By swapping the SATA ports and cables, I have ruled out that SATA port and cables from being bad.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Here's what I wonder: how does the Geovision recording software potentially write to the "D" drive in such a way that Win7 loses all visibility and connectivity with the drive so that it no longer shows up in Device Manager or in control panel (like to go format a drive)?

Originally, I had a really old drive that I used for the "C" drive that had Win7 installed on it and I really thought that was the bad drive, so, I have replaced it with an SSD drive and fresh installation of Win 7. So, at this point, I know the OS and installation drive are good-to-go.

Thoughts? Thanks. David

2. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I can see how surveillance software can take command over a drive... security issues. Check the properties of drive > security tab. Is it shared? Is it available over IP?
    We working with a desktop, right?
    Grab another drive and clone over the problematic one.
    Really hard to diagnose without hands-on, ya know?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    the issue could be with the GeoVision software are u running the latest version if it has one? the only thing i can tell is swap with another HD and see if it records to it...to me is fastest way to find out if is the drive or software.

4. Skeetmann

Skeetmann MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    Hi, fellas...I just wanted to report back...the drive lost connectivity once again. However, I ran one more low level format and then ran scandisk on it afterwards it came back with bad sectors. I was able to get the drive to show again in Windows, but I could not read or write to it. So, at this point, I think most of the evidence shows that the drive is going bad since it continues to develop bad sectors. I have ordered a new HD and will let you all know if that fixes it. I really do appreciate you all taking the time to reply with detailed responses. You all have a good day. I'll report back and close the issue once my new HD arrives.