Internal sound card detects mic but can't record audio

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by TNTS, Mar 24, 2021.

1. TNTS

TNTS MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2013
    #1 TNTS, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    I'm having trouble with my internal sound card which suddenly stopped working. All the drivers are installed and there are no errors to speak of. The problem is, when I use apps or websites like Google Meet or Zoom, it says that I don't have a microphone installed. When I also check the Sound device settings, it states there that I indeed have the device but it can't record any input. I've tried reinstalling the drivers but it doesn't work. I've also set the device to default and disabled the other devices to no avail. The motherboard is an Asrock H61M-VS4

2. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Could be a problem with mobo it self sense the sound card is build in make sure you have the proper drivers install, i assume your running windows 10 it also could be a issue with windows depending on the build your running.

3. TNTS

TNTS MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2013
    I'm running Windows 10 LTSC 2019. It may be the motherboard but I hope it's something related to software. It was working just the day prior but suddenly it just stopped working. I've tried uninstalling the drivers with DDU but the issue still persisted.

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    The internal sound card is possibly dead. You would have to get a PCI sound card. My favourite is Sound Blaster Z and it is very expensive. If you are on a budget you can get something like M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Internal Sound Card or external USB 3D Sound Card.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009