Internet banking; if I use Google Chrome or Firefox can Win10 still spy on me?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sps, Sep 4, 2015.

1. sps

sps MDL Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Topic says it all, I am a dual-booter and use Linux most of the time, but when using windows sometimes I have do some internet banking transactions.
    If I use Chrome or Firefox am I safer than using Edge? I mean, like it was with Win7 or Win8?
    Can Win10 capture my data (bank username and password)?

TIA

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Be advised that those who liked to know your banking data already have them long before W10 was born :D
    All other crooks spying around cannot deal with your data or simply are not interested because they have no access to your acc in terms of steeling your money

3. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
    #3 MysTikAL3, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Only M$ can give you an answer to this, which of course they won't. Even if they did, who would ever trust at all they would be saying the truth...:rolleyes:

IMO, my choice would be never to use 10 for anything you want/need to have private and secure, period.
    Use your linux, 7 or other options is my suggestion...
    Until we know more, at this time I will not allow a Windows 10 PC to be connected on my home or business network, period.
    The details we have now currently point to 'unknown' degrees of privacy and security risks associated with 10.
    All we do know for certain, is that the privacy/security risks involved are currently unrestricted and unrestrained.
    It is clearly stated in their broad reaching and all encompassing new service agreement applying to Windows 10.
    It is all in Microsoft's hands, and up to their discretion exactly what data will be accessed and/or stored, or sold.

My position is clear....but it is yours to decide...
    :)

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    run VM in 10 to run 7 :clap:

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Even If they had your credentials nobody could not steal your money if the bank has verification security devices with change of codes every time you do an transfer

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Yea, they need the PIN number and the name of your first pet and your mom's middle name and where your Grandma was born.

7. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    It's called Paranoia.

8. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    It would be worse to use other Windows. There are many paranoid people in this world. No, MS does not spy on you or care anything at all about your bank accounts. Other people might though. People with far less money than Microsoft. If you want to be secure follow proper precautions. Do not access bank data from an internet café or other hot spot. Only use secure connections. Make sure your WiFi connection at home is secure, or use ethernet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    They (M$) don't want your credentials specifically but just record the transactions you make. Just to know what you are doing with your life everyday, espionage or M$ loves gossip? :eek::D :cool:

10. sps

sps MDL Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Thanks for all replies!
    Well, paranoia or not, the EULA says they DO collect passwords, the problem is: what happens if this data ever get stolen:eek:...
    Anyway, I feel better rebooting into linux for online banking! :D

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Really? Could you quote or highlight those lines? Didn't know about that.

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    LOL Seems to be true then: Windows 10 is a big giant all-mighty legal spyware :D

13. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Banks

Based on their recent behavior I would imagine that the banks are a bigger threat than Microsoft. All I can say is that Microsoft changed my life as an accountant in 1983, turning hours of work with pen and paper, then a secretary to type all the accounts, into a few minutes work. This could then be printed at the press of a button. At the risk of seeming strange I still say that for real work MS-DOS is hard to beat. DOS runs beautifully under Windows 10, although certain programs need a true DOS machine. I still have a play with MULTIPLAN every now and then. Those 32 years have just disappeared, but the world is changing so fast that I cannot keep up. As people have already said on here, Windows 10 could well be the last major effort from Microsoft. Shame if this was to be the case.

14. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    You are not safer using chrome, but I would set chrome as the default browser and always use Firefox. When the browser is set as default, you give windows permission to use it.

I would also make these changes to Firefox, even though most of the MDL people are correct about Win watching 70 million people, these are more to keep safe from the net.

In the browser address bar type about:config and press enter.

Referer logging is used to allow websites and web servers to identify what sites you previously visited.
    Type: Network.http.sendRefererHeader into the search bar, and set the entry to 0.

With Geo-location Firefox will try and tell websites where you’re located Type: geo.enabled into the search bar, Right click on the option and select Toggle to change the setting to False.

Mozilla has a feature called 'DOM storage' in recent versions of Firefox which can be used to track you.
    Type: dom.storage.enabled into the search bar, Right click on the option and select Toggle to change the setting to False.

Saving lots of information of your previously visited sites.
    Type: network.prefetch-next into the search bar Right click on the option and select Toggle to change the setting to False.

Prevents WebTRC connections from revealing your true IP.
    Type: media.peerconnection.enabled into the search bar, Right click on the option and select Toggle to change the setting to False.

Remember, you should clear cookies after each time you exit the Net for a day, and if you watch your account and see you didn't make the change, your bank will reverse it and have you change password. Speaking of passwords, I know it can be a nightmare, but the best are a mixture of Caps, LC, and numbers, changed each month.

15. Zeblade

Zeblade MDL Junior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Forgive me but lol WOW.. where to some of you people come from? You've heard from people that know far better then you like Paul..haha you cant even stop what goes from your house to Comcast, Dish.. whom ever you pay to get on the net.

Been happening for many years now.... anyway.. the sky is falling and keep kicking that dead horse... and yet you still use your cell phone..

16. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Thanks for the thanks.

Just wanted to retouch on passwords, you need to worry more about using WIFI and the Internet and not really MS. They would never do anything Illegal as they have too much money and wouldn't risk losing a penny, with all the time they spend tracking habits so they can sell you what you want.

17. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Some people think that because there is already so much spying going on, it's okay for MS to become the new champion of that effort. I happen to think it sucks and hope they're rewarded with another failed operating system.

18. johny88

johny88 MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2015
    Tinfoil is strong with this one.
    Probably not do you understand that they cant save and upload all the data you send or receive from online in packet bytes? how could they store and analyze all the traffic going in and out your machine thats an insane ammount of data.
    They can analyze which websites you connect to, but they wont know what transactions/ammounts youve done in your chrome or firefox, that would be an insane level of security breacholes for others to exploit if they existed to begin with, if browsers and secure connections could be so easily and untraceably hacked from inside by windows processes.
    They might be able to record every keystroke and send that to MS servers and judging by the site and time you connected link togheter what they mean.As in your CC details emails/password.
    Again even if the new EULA can be interpreted, yes interpreted, that way it doesnt mean thats what they are doing. I have serious doubts they let such a massive security breach in W10, recording everything you do on any program and knowing all your programs/email/passwords and anything that its dangerous to upload online.
    I do think if you use windows store with your CC or microsoft edge that data most likely will be uploaded and saved by MS. But Chrome and firefox dont think so, anyway anything you do in chrome and firefox could be uploaded to google right? well they are open source so i think people would have pointed that out by now so you are safe mostly.

19. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @sps: If You're worried about your credit card information being stolen during a secured transaction, there are usually ways of making a credit card purchase by phone.
    Using services like PayPal are a good idea because they afford You protection from fraud.

IMHO, We need to worry more about the banks bumbling and either losing sensitive data or having it stolen from them.

On a side note: In the USA, the IRS was breached and a lot of sensitive data was stolen. We still do not know the long-term effects of this. Citizens whose data has been stolen have been notified, but the damage has been done.

Be careful.