Internet Connections?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Happpy, May 30, 2010.

1. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Hello, All!

I want to ask about Internet Connection and their speeds.

I went to the PTCL office and asked for Internet Connection, they told me 512MB, 1MB, 2MB and 4MB connection names but I didn't know what are these? (Even I'm using Internet since 5 years). For me, 1MB was good enough with respect to money and I bought that. But I don't know how these connection divided into different parts and why they are in MB instead of KB and GB and TB.

Now when my Internet connects then this thing comes in LAN:

Speed: 100.0Mbps

So how we diagnose what's the browsing and downloading speed of any Internet connection? and What's this for my connection? What are the difference between all those speeds?

Hope for the answer,

Regards,

2. Happpy

Happpy MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Thanks Yurbuh Tuggly!

That's great way to find Internet speed.

I've two more questions, I request you to answer me plz,

1- Is there any difference between Browsing Speed and Downloading Speed? Because I've seen myself own many times a slow browsing speed but a fast downloading speed and its vice versa too.

2- The site you told me is telling me 0.92MB/S downloading speed but when I download different things then speed remain till 100KB/S and doesn't increase, so why this happens. When original connection (that I have bought) is of 1MB speed and Speed Testing is telling 0.92MB/S too, then why actual downloading (that I do) is slow?

Regards,

3. Yurbuh Tuggly

Yurbuh Tuggly MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    1) Yes. There will always be a variable based on how a particular site is designed (many off-site links to graphics, etc) and the speed of the server it is hosted on. Download speeds can similarly vary due to the speed of the server and it's load at any given time--but at least you are "locked in" to one server so the download speed will be somewhat more consistant than a general perceived browsing speed. Your computer settings can also affect download speeds which is why many people use Download Managers such as Internet Download Manager (and others--there is a whole thread on this here) which attempt to make multiple connections to the download server, which can be much faster, and then put all the pieces together when the download completes.
    2) .92 Mb/S is awfully close to your stated 1 Mb/S--nothing to complain about there--this will also vary a bit depending on your ISP and the type of connection--cable, for instance, is shared--the more people in your immediate area that are connected and active at one time, the slower your connection may be. Many times, you can test your speed, then test again immediately or a while later and come up with a different number.

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gyrertr

gyrertr MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    Internet connection is a many types like ADSL,DSL etc.It is a depended on a network which managed a Internet and it is a three types like LAN,MAN,WAN. We are used Internet in local area so used LAN connection and WAN internet connection is connect network of all world.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. so3dchar1

so3dchar1 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    100 Mbps is hardware capability it will, give max 12.5 MB/s data transfer rate on Local Area Network.
    1 Gbps for Cross pair cable or Hub with 1 Gbps support on LAN, it will give max 125 MB/s data transer rate ( Using SSD Hardisk )

1 Mbps is normal around 100 KB/s, Your max speed is 125 KB/s but may increase due to burst bandwith policy

Just keep in mind 1 B/s( Byte/sec) = 8 bps ( Bit/sec)

Sorry for my bad english if i do it :)

7. geethip

geethip MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2011
    #8 geethip, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
    hi I test the speed of my internet in many sites I got the best speed results from here ip-details
    my results are
    download=1.09Kbps
    upload=0.87Kbps
    I dont know the reason why my speed seems to be slow many of them said that if Cable Internet services share bandwidth with satellite Internet access.
    If there are many subscribers using that same bandwidth, it can slow down the connection.
    kindly guide me how to solve this problem .

8. ASV93

ASV93 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Download Speed: 400kb/s

Upload Speed: 50kb/s

9. andhrew

andhrew MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2010
    its very slow nowadays you should think about optical internet ;)