Internet download speed capped?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Black couch, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Download speeds are also depending on the server from which you download.

What is your indication that it's windows related? Did you try on more current builds or from a winpese ISO?

3. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    yeah, i initially thought it was server dependent but it has been like this with all the downloads the past (at least) 2 months. There is no clear indication of it being windows related, it is just that i can't/don't know what else it could be. Router is fine, speedtests for browsing are fine, pings or whatever other tests are fine, settings in windows network are fine, cable and other hardware is fine. I haven't tried on other builds.
    The only other explanation is that it could come as a cap from the ISP (either mine or the ones i am downloading from) due to the pandemic and their fake "intense internet traffic and clogged bandwitdh"...or something windows related

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Make a linux live boot usb drive. If your download speeds are okay with that then it's windows. Otherwise it's hardware.

6. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    it is 2 megabytes per second download speed on files, whether they are torrents, games from steam or direct file downloads from the browser; i usually get about 100+ megabytes on big files when it has time to ramp up...in usual short download bursts, it goes to at least 20+ (i mean it used to, now it never goes past 2)

7. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    didn't even think of it, thank you. will do

8. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    did the following test:

my current laptop:
    -cabled connection 1gbps ethernet to router
    -speedtest gives 900+ mbps browsing speeds
    -using deluge to download "train to busan 2" torrent with over 3000 seeders

final speed: 1.4-2 MB/s download capped

-cabled connection 1gbps ethernet NO ROUTER (bypassing it), dial up connection set straight through wall to the main modem
    -speedtest gives 900+ mbps browsing speeds

final speed: 1.4-2 MB/s download capped

older laptop windows 7:
    -cabled connection max 200mbps ethernet to router
    -speedtest gives 100-200 mbps browsing speeds

final speed: 5 MB/s download

Even though I should've had better than 5 MB/s download speeds on the older laptop for a 100-200 mbps connection (so lets say an ideal 10-20MB/s...maybe it is bottlenecked by old cpu and hdd), it still was more than double what my high performance laptop gets on windows 10 ltsc. As you can see, I've tried bypassing the router, I've also checked with different cat5 cables...

No clue what the heck..it all started a few months ago, before that i'd be ripping 100MB/s download speeds on almost everything

9. Nubio

Nubio MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    could it be your NIC?...either hardware problem or driver related...is it set for at least 100 Mbps?

10. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    i think it is something related

after your reply i realized i should also check the speeds on wireless (i have always used it plugged so i even forgot i had wireless..). the laptop i have includes a killer E2500 ethernet and an intel AC 9560 wireless. Because my router doesn't have 5gh, my max browsing speeds were 100mbps. However, the download speeds for files were good at 5-9 MB/s...

so there is something about the ethernet which is an issue

i've tried uninstalling the drivers, rolling back, updating, using dedicated software for drivers to do the same thing. each and every time it would still cap my download speed the same way.

the only question now is to find whether it is something physically screwed about it or if the drivers just don't want to do it right

i have no clue how i can go about that though

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Deleted

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. ruuu7

ruuu7 MDL Member

Mar 7, 2015
    maybe you got rid of some windows telemetry stuff w/ some kind of "delete telemetry because of "they will listen to me over the internet!" s**tty app. don't you? ;)

13. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    hehe, if only that was the case so they would get revenge on me by limiting my speeds...

nope, i was satisfied enough with the minimalism of LTSC and i just left as is after installation. i only optimized it with the options it had built in (unchecking almost everything in the privacy part of settings and all that). no 3rd party software as i am a minimalist, the only app that runs on my laptop is throttlestop.

i do not know what else i can try/do to troubleshoot this crap

14. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    In my experience with laptops connections degrated mostly after a few years and then I mean the wifi cards not working on full speed maybe you nic is slowly dying at this point I only can think of trying another net card for your laptop

15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You said, you have ThrottleStop, but you haven't said anything about your system. ThrottleStop is needed very rarely, on very few old computers and nowhere else.
    Why do you have ThrottleStop, what does it do there, in Your computer? And if possible, how it have set to start up in Your computer, because by default it doesn't have built in settings to start with Windows.

16. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    I have a GS65 laptop which, if left by itself on stock, will start spewing lava with 94C temps on both gpu and cpu on intensive tasks (gaming etc.). I repasted both cpu and gpu with industrial grade thermal paste that isn't available on the consumer market and i use throttlestop to underclock the cpu by .100

17. Black couch

Black couch MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    oddly, the wifi is the one working ideally on the laptop while the ethernet is troubled. i've heard about bad rep when it comes to Killer, but i have never read about a problem resembling mine

18. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  19. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012