Internet Dropping every time I turn my computer on

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bdearen, Oct 25, 2009.

1. bdearen

bdearen MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2009
    So I have a small problem that just started happening. I have verizon Fios with an actiontect router that has never given me a problem. Every time my computer is off for awhile and then I turn it on my internet won't work though I can access the router via 192.168.1.1. Windows then brings up a new connection found box with the name "unidentified connection" When I go to network connections I see 2 my old network and this new "unidentified connection" I have to restart the computer then net works again. Any ideas?

2. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

3. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    Anyone have any ideas? Would REALLY appreciate it

4. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Desktop? Notebook?
    Wired? Wireless?

Need some info to help further.

One thing to look at is in Device Manager--> Network Adapters --> "The adapter you are using"
    Right click --> Properties --> Power management tab --> Remove check mark in the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

May help.

Mfk

5. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    #5 bdearen, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    (OP)
    yeah found that today I turned that s**t off. Would that make it drop and come back as "unidentified connection" usually when windows finds another network it's network2, network3 ect... wtf is unidentified. Desktop Wired computer>router>intenet the other computers on my network never do this they are running xp SP3

6. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I have an unidentified network in my W7 setup, but it is only for my Vmware virtual adapters

I am pretty sure that if it was checked and you put your computer to sleep or hibernate it kills the adapters traffic but not sure why it would come back as unidentified. It should come back as Home Network

I had a problem with a wired connection always doing that in Vista when my wireless adapter was enabled, even though it wasn't connected to an access point. I had to have one or the other enabled/disabled if i wanted to get internet access. f**king Vista

Mfk

7. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Try resetting your Modem and Router dude. This can happen when your systems are confused which happens a lot trust me. If that does not help then try reinstalling the drivers for your ethernet card if possible. If still nothing then I would suspect that the ethernet cord comming into your pc has a short or a problem sending all the network packets and information. This can happen very easy as well. The only other thing I can think of is your Firewall. I know some firewalls that were released prior to windows 7 may have issues like this. Anyway good luck dude.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Try forcing the computer to sleep or hibernate and wait a few minutes then wake it up and see what hapens, since you unchecked the power management properties of your NIC.