Internet during power outages

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by RASelkirk, Jun 8, 2022.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

My home has a Generac for power during outages, which we've had more than a few of lately. All my computer stuff is on a UPS and unaffected by the 15 second switchover. The problem is that when our power goes out, our (modem) Spectrum internet is out for the duration. I use my 'droid phone as a WiFi hotspot for my laptop but with close to 20 connections on my router, I have to manually switch whatever else I need over to the hotspot's connection.

Is there some way to connect my phone's hotspot directly into the router (Nighthawk 7000) so everything connected on the router can remain in it's normal state?

Phone -> ethernet adapter -> modem port on router?

Phone -> USB in existing Win7 puter -> internet sharing via ethernet through router?

Phone -> second router feeding the Nghthawk?

I'm all ears for a fix!

Russ

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    There are routers specially made to use a sim card for cellphone internet.

Or try to setup the router to be an AP only repeating the wifi from the phone.

3. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Seems odd to me. I also have Spectrum internet, and use a portable generator that feeds into the main electrical panel during power outages. The cable modem usually comes back on, and works fine, after power to that circuit is restored. Unless, of course, the Spectrum cable service is also dead because of the power failure, but it usually is not.

I once used a Raspberry Pi as a wireless to wired bridge, so that I could connect to a surveillance camera dvr in my garage that only had ethernet port. I didn't want to run a cable out to the garage. It is a somewhat tricky thing to set up, but it might work in your situation.

4. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    happen here too,
    the power in the distribution center fails on the way o_O
    And sometimes it includes the cellular towers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Yeah, depending on how widespread, the power outage could possibly take down cable service and cell towers...:(

6. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Apparently our Spectrum hub is inside the power failure zone. Got it figured this am, router allows for "bridged" mode so once I looked through the documentation, it's pretty easy. Main drawback is accessing the router homepage later as the IP will be different, TG for ZoneAlarm that IP was in the log file! A bunch of internal router features are disabled, which are livable for the short term. Oh, and the router needs to reboot each time you swap modes, which takes close to 5 mins for everything to normalize and reacquire.

Easy peasy!

Russ