Internet Explorer 11 - Fast like hell?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by sunesio, Sep 8, 2013.

1. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    I was using Chrome now for years and after a fresh re-install I had to use the IE to download some stuff.
    But dude, this browser is fast like hell. The UI is smooth and snappy and the page loading times do feel a lot better than Chrome. It feels like the same as if I would use Firefox and then switch to Chrome.
    It's interesting because Chrome is supposed to be the king in all disciplines. (Or most of them at least)
    But still it's a lot more fluid in every scenario I've tested. Youtube, Facebook etc.
    Sure there seems to be a lot placebo going on
    (smooth scrolling, which is by the way very smooth and more fluid than any other browser I've seen so far)
    but i'm impressed and I begin to wonder why Chrome feels so sloppy.

2. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Funny, I just switched from Google Chrome to Firefox for the same reason: Chrome was awfully slow, especially on this very forum:(

Therefor I tried Firefox and this does the job much faster! But I do agree: IE11 is the winner! One bad side of IE11 and any other IE-version: they lack of any method of blocking ads! These ads - on some pages - are that annoying, that I chose for Firefox, which has a decent adblocker: Adblock Plus 2.3.2.

3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mdl870152

mdl870152 MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2013
    I only always use an portable browser

5. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    Adblock Plus does work, but in order to use it you have to disable the Enhanced Protected Mode.
    Don't know if that's such a great idea. Only thing I've been missing so far is a possibility to sync my bookmarks etc. like in Chrome.
    Don't want to use any extra tools so only way is to have an Windows online account for Windows login.

6. Redmist77

Redmist77 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2009
    IE11 is extremely fast and smooth compared to Chrome and FF but it has some compatibility issues with some web sites. I guess that will get sorted out as it becomes more popular. It's good that MS have really lifted their game with IE.

7. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    And it's working pretty well... every time I use a machine where Tracking Protection is not enabled I'm really shocked about the amount of ads on some sites, almost forgot about them. You should also enable ActiveX filtering (and disable it for the sites where you need Flash, for example) as it will effectively block Flash-based ads.

8. Terepin

Terepin MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2012
    h**ps://downloads.adblockplus.org/devbuilds/adblockplusie/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. eydee

eydee Guest

Neither the Chrome nor the IE version comes even a bit close to what it can do under Firefox.

10. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I'm sorry, I don't want to be the bad guy, but AdBlock kills website revenue... it's EVIL! I run a website with some friends and although we get thousands of visitors per month, we barely manage to cover the provider's costs, imagine if all of them were running AdBlock...

11. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    adblockplus gets disabled in IE11 but works fine on IE10

12. jasoos

jasoos MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2012
    IE 11 is fast but facing some compatibility issues

13. Terepin

Terepin MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Do you want to know what is truly evil? 35% of page's space filled up with animated Flash bulls**t, with sound and with those little f*ckers that will block the entire page to show you what you don't need nor want. Site admins on those websites should burn in hell.
    Disable enhanced security level.

14. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    I know, but I don't want this

15. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    That's true, but that's why I don't visit those awful websites. They may have the best content on earth, but if they are run like that, it's best to avoid them. I know AdBlock has an "acceptable ads" whitelist, but that can be disabled too, and I sincerely hope that nobody does that.

16. eydee

eydee Guest

Websites are not supposed to make a living out of annoying people. If that's the only way for a website to survive, it's probably not needed anyway.

17. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    #18 WIKIMACK, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    I appreciate IE 11

The advantage of Chromeis is double spelling checker.

18. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    very true! The addons of Firefox like AdBlock Plus, DoNotTrackMe, Google Browser Optout Plugin, are irreplaceable

19. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Why do you need ABP when you can simply let IE11's Enhanced Protected Mode handle the ad-blockage for you?
    What I love about it - it can block by specific ad source (I can kill all DoubleClick-sourced ads or all Google-sourced ads on a site, but leave everyone else alone), not everybody.
    It also is NOT a plug-in - it's built in.
    Because it's built-in, it doesn't mess with the one IE plug-in I rely on - Internet Download Manager.