Internet Explorer 8 Problem after SP1 update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by frank117, Feb 25, 2011.

1. frank117

frank117 MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    I updated Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit to SP1 from the windows update site. After the update IE8 would no longer go to a web site unless it was an HTTPS site. IE8 would state it was waiting for the site to respond and just hang there. It never came up with the site being unavailable screen. I tried setting the security setting in IE8 down a notch but that did not work. It would always go to an HTTPS site but never to an HTTP site. I shut down my antivirus and firewall but that made no difference. I could update my antivirus programs (Avast and Malwarebytes) with no problems. I finally uninstalled SP1 and now have no problems with IE8. Would anyone know what settings to change to fix this issue when i try updating again? I have googled it but can find no solution. Thanks for any help and suggestions: Frank

2. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    did you try clicking the "reset" button in internet options?
    it must be some activex crap that's screwing it up

3. frank117

frank117 MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    Thanks for the help. Yes I reset IE but made no difference. I forgot to mention that firefox had the same problem, would not go to an HTTP site. Acted the same as IE8. Thanks again: Frank