internet question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by anima, Jan 21, 2012.

1. anima

anima MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2011
    hallo and i am sorry if i am posting this in the wrong section....

i have the following question

lest say that someone register a name for a website.Then he buys a hosting server in different company from the one he bought the name.

When someone types the name of the site then his pc contacts with the nameserver who has the ip for the specific domain name and gives you this ip through which you get connected and finally you are able to view the site.

if you already know the process you understood what i am talking about.

my question is which ip does the man who types the name of the site sees ?the ip from the hosting server or the ip from the nameservers....???

2. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    ip is the hosting, the domain name is linked to this ip ...

correct me if I am wrong ... :biggrin5:

3. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    The application will need to access both IP addresses, so it will need to "see" both. First the IP of the name server(s) for the domain ("NS" records in DNS), so that it can query these name servers for the actual host address ("A" records for IPv4 and "AAAA" records for IPv6). Then it can access that host address in order to exchange data. Which host addresses the name servers respond with depends on how your domain's DNS is set up. Usually the customer has access to some configuration web site where he can change his DNS records.

So in the end only the hosting server's IP is needed to communicate with it, but to make it useful with a domain name you have to configure it in the domain's name servers as well.

4. anima

anima MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2011
    ok the application sees first the ip of the nameservers and later the hosting server ip.
    If you ping the address...which ip you are pinging (the nameservers or the hosting)?

which ip should i put in my browser in order to get me to the site,the nemservers ip or the hosting?