internet speed observation - your comments

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by dunc1234, Oct 13, 2010.

1. dunc1234

dunc1234 MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2010
    hi all, borderline if this is in the correct forum so apologies if so. i remember in days of old Internet optimizers which allegedly sped up your internet connection, these seem to have decreased dramaically after broadband but it seems that we are going full circle with plenty of people complaining how slow there BB is (via telephone, not cable users)

Anyway my friend was complaining how naff his speed was, i tested it at speedtest.net and he was getting 1.5mb, he said would changing supplier (tiscali) make any difference. i told him that it wouldn't as its the quality of telephone line and distance from the local exchange. i do know about contention levels and general heavy traffic affects speed before i get shouted at - but mainly distance to exchange and quality of line is the main point

or so i thought !! on him changing to O2 through the same line (note we don't have O2 with there own equipment in the exchange) his speed (checked at different times and days) increased to 4.5 mb.

i was amazed, so if you or someone you know has a crap speed it may be worth changing supplier - lastly i don't rate tiscali/talktalk/aol uk for service.

hope this may benefit some of you out there and would welcome any comments on this and internet optimizers

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. dunc1234

dunc1234 MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2010
    an interesting read with good anaolgies to explain noise on the line in relation to speed

4. martincrow

martincrow MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2011
    I am also facing this problem of slow speed, sometimes the upload speed doesn't measured by the Speed test, it shows how weak the speed is.