internet speed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bergy37, Mar 11, 2016.

1. bergy37

bergy37 MDL Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Hi, When checking internet speed should both u/p and d/l be similar or could there be a difference of more than 20MB? I have my router need my cordless phone and my vonage hook up. Plz let me know.

thx

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Of course there'll be a big difference between up and down, unless you pay for mega upload speeds

You should know what you're paying for up/down anyway

For example, I get 80 dn / 20 up

3. bergy37

bergy37 MDL Member

Dec 23, 2015
    I am paying for 100 / 100.

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Then what is your question?

If you're paying 100/100 and there's a 20 difference, then of course something isn't right

But you have to take into consideration that not all servers will be able to handle 100/100, along with other network issues along the route to your transfer

Run a speedtest.net from a few different servers to check if it's a problem with your side or theirs

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    100/100?? Did you have a leased line?? Normally public accounts having a much higher download than upload, I've 30/3 here in Thailand and the cost is around US$ 70 (THB 2,500.00)!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    If you're paying for 100/100 then you should be getting 100/100, and not 100/80. You can call your ISP and troubleshoot with them why you aren't getting the speeds you are paying for. It could be that the infrastructure around you is split up to the point where you aren't getting your required bandwidth. The best way to test on your end would be testing with your computer plugged directly into the modem, bypassing your router and network entirely.

For me, I wouldn't be concerned if I wasn't getting my full upload speed as I don't upload much at all. If you upload a ton or pull files from your place remotely, then you should probably get it checked out.

7. bergy37

bergy37 MDL Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Yes, I want more up load than down load speed. Will the amount of bill be the same?

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Check your LAN card and Wifi abilities. Are they Tbase100 (100 Mbit) or Tbase1000 (Gigabit). That can make a big difference in some cases. Also testing your U/D speed depends on where you test at. Base your test from your service providers speed test page, anywhere else will be less.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally, on Public (not corporate) Accounts, the speed you pay for is the max speed the ISP promise tp deliver to you. But: that opplies only for the speed from you to the ISP's Server!! It's simply impossible for any ISP to garant a sudden speed to any target location, be it in the same country, or be it a foreign country.

Corporates account a bit better than Public account, while Leased Line Accounts a the best, and most expensive! Simple fact is, Public Accounts mainly running on so called shared connection, which could quite differs a lot, it could be 1 (ISP) to 5 (Public Account), just could be 1 to 50! As more users are connected to the same 'Line', as slower the speed the users each get! To (not really) bypass that, some ISP's using a so called in-line caching, wich a caching of websites with very high access and the servers of the ISP.

The fact is, the ISP's are not bound by law to deliver the max possible speed, the users pay for. And taht applies only for the connection from the users Modem to the server of the ISP. In coporate accounts and Leased lines, that speed is also 'just' garanted fron the User to the the ISP Server!

All that said, the fact is, the user all times maybe never even once get what he is paying for and that's still legal!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    I would you suggest you to check with your ISP about this issue after the step suggested by EFA11.