Internet Speeds

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by lostpassword, May 27, 2018.

1. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I am not certain what country MDL is based in, if any?

These comments are related to the UK only.
    There is a lot of fuss by Government about Internet Access Speeds. I pay for fibre and although the online tests show up to 25 mbits second, I find speed is not really a factor only most sites. Amazon has always seemed to load faster, but for a lot of forums and general interest sites it seems to make little difference when upgrading..

It seems to me that once you get to about 10 mbits, that is fast enough. You do see a few providers for 100 mbits, but is this really any use for a single user? Am I correct is saying that super fast access is only really any use for big commercial sites like Amazon, Ebay and online purchasing?

The Government is threatening the Telcos about access to very remote areas, where the cost would never be recovered. Is this pressure being applied in the much larger USA?

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    The technology makes everything easier, not better. Vinyl discs still provide a better quality than digital music. CRT provides a better image quality than LCD, not to mention it is better for eyes.

3. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
    3Mbps (downstream or download) DSL connection is okay.
    If having a security alarm system (which my family got from ADT a few months ago), 10Mbps downstream and 3Mbps upstream or upload speed will be needed.

My brother got Spectrum cable internet in late Feb. 2018 which gave us up to 50Mbps download and 5Mbps upload speeds