Invalid key after BIOS flash

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Deadlock, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Deadlock

Deadlock MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2008
    Hi guys! Sorry if the answer to this problem is around here somewhere, but I haven't had any luck finding anything that worked or fit my situation.

My system (WinXP Pro, unsure of build) was working just fine until I decided to flash my BIOS yesterday. After it was done, I had some trouble booting up my PC, but that was fixed by removing the MoBo battery for a few minutes. Then as I entered windows, I was told that my version of Windows needed to be activated, possibly because of the system time being reset to 31/12/07 when I removed the battery.

So I tried reactivating the key I'm currently using, and I am told that the amount of times that the key can be activated had been used. No big deal, it's my cousins CD-key :p But the problem is that any key I try to enter is just 'invalid'. I have 2 keys which are genuine, which definately should work, but they don't. I have tried about 20 other keys that I got from a friend, and just none of them are working. The only response I get is that the key is invalid.

I had System Restore disabled during all this so I can't restore my system to an earlier version. I also tried to repair windows with a Windows XP CD but the repair option brings me to a console which I don't understand much of.

All help is greatly appreciated, as I'm quite the noob when it comes to OS stuff. Thanks in advance :>

2. Suicide Solution

Suicide Solution MDL Addicted

Apr 29, 2008
    1.What version of Windows?
    2. Does the keys used match Windows version?
    3. Make of the machine?

Keys used must be for the version of Windows you have installed. You can download and test the keys you have using the program linked in the XP SLP Collection sticky at the top.

Sounds like a OEM COA or Retail install. May have to convert it to OEM SLP and no more activation to worry about.

3. Deadlock

Deadlock MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2008
  4. Suicide Solution

Suicide Solution MDL Addicted

Apr 29, 2008
  5. apostilleus

apostilleus MDL Novice

May 8, 2009
    Hi guys! Sorry if the answer to this problem is around here somewhere, but I haven't had any luck finding anything that worked or fit my situation.

My system (WinXP Pro, unsure of build) was working just fine until I decided to flash my BIOS yesterday. After it was done, I had some trouble booting up my PC, but that was fixed by removing the MoBo battery for a few minutes. Then as I entered windows, I was told that my version of Windows needed to be activated, possibly because of the system time being reset to 31/12/07 when I removed the battery.So I tried reactivating the key I'm currently using, and I am told that the amount of times that the key can be activated had been used. No big deal, it's my cousins CD-key :p But the problem is that any key I try to enter is just 'invalid'. I have 2 keys which are genuine, which definately should work, but they don't. I have tried about 20 other keys that I got from a friend, and just none of them are working. The only response I get is that the key is invalid.I had System Restore disabled during all this so I can't restore my system to an earlier version. I also tried to repair windows with a Windows XP CD but the repair option brings me to a console which I don't understand much of.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    we need more info to start with I am glad i ain't your cousin, you have just screwed him as reguards to his windows xp cd key, anyways what bios flash did you use i,e modded bios ?