Invalid MCE COA?!? REP+ for replies

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by JacobCook715, Apr 12, 2013.

1. JacobCook715

JacobCook715 MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2013
    Hey all, im trying to install XP Media Center Edition 2005. I have used both CD 1 and CD 2 to clean install and everythings installed correctly.

I am trying to activate with the key from the COA on my computer (NEC branded), and im using it with official Microsoft Windows installation CDs (not official NEC discs) and i am being told that the key i have entered is invalid.

Any help? Rep+ and thanks+ for help guys, much appreciated!

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller MDL Spinning Tortoise

Dec 21, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JacobCook715

JacobCook715 MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2013
    Thank you Carlos that's what i was after, the PID Checker is reporting that it is indeed valid, just need a simple phone activation im guessing. thanks very much

4. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    #4 Carlos Detweiller, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    Invalid? You have selected Windows XP/Server 2003 before pressing the Go! button, right?

A COA key shouldn't be invalid but show as ''OEM_NSLP'' or ''OEM_COA'' type key. MS just locked Internet activation because some !"ยง$%%& liked to steal the COA keys in stores.

Edit: Checked an XP COA key and they show as ''OEM''. The Edition field should reveal what it's for.
    Edit2: MCE should display Key SubType ''OEM-MCE''.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You have to modify sources\setupp.ini to accept oem keys.

6. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Then he has Retail discs, not OEM ones. ''official Microsoft Windows installation CDs'' could mean either, I got the OEM ones...

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    In MSDN, you can only find retail MCE.

:hug2: