Invalid XP version bought from a store - Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by DrZ, Jan 5, 2010.

1. DrZ

DrZ MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2010
    Hello all,

I have been helping a family member with their computer as they were having a major problem with viruses. A norton scan revealed 96 tracking cookies, not that bad in its self, and then 7-8 trojan horses. Anyway resolving those issues I proceeded to windows update to discover that the version he has is illegal. Looking through the installed program list, I conclude that this is indeed an illegal copy simular to (if not) XP Corporate Edition. His story goes like this...

As he is not familiar with PC he takes it to the store to be repaired often, where the solution to every problem is format/reinstall. This is the same store he bought the PC from new, and after some time he misplaces the org CD. He returns to have the PC fixed, and as usual a format/reinstall is performed without him providing the org CD.

Of course loosing the installation CD is not the stores fault, and the type of software installed is clear to me that its not just a question of his product key being pipped off. Assuming he is telling the truth and accepting the fact that losing the CD is the biggest sin there is, what options does he have regarding reinstating a legal copy on his PC?

Thanks in advance
    DrZ

2. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Read the stickies. The corporate OS can be converted to an OEM license. See "VLK and OEM BIOS changer".

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    if he bought the pc as new from that store there should be an OEM COA sticker on the machine but if it was a retail copy the serial would have been on the cd case in any case the Company should really have retrieved his serial number, you should still take it back what they have installed is illegal. If you don't want all the hastle just make up an OEM cd and use the dmi boot cd to tattoo his machine info in the stickies.