Iobit Uninstaller and Eset Internet Security

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ohenry, May 4, 2023.

1. ohenry

ohenry MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    #1 ohenry, May 4, 2023
    Last edited: May 4, 2023
    I purchased a license for Iobit Uninstaller nearly a year ago, and I've been fairly happy with it, until yesterday. I did not like the way it installed other junk software without asking, but those other programs were easy to remove. I tend to try out a lot of different software, most of which I then uninstall. And Iobit did a good job of cleaning up after the uninstalls.

But yesterday Iobit tried to do an automatic update to a new version, and things went really wrong. Eset really did not like what Iobit was doing, and after all was said and done Iobit would no longer run. It simply wasn't there. So I downloaded another clean installer from the Iobit website, and tried to install. No go, Eset wasn't having it, and I was unwilling to turn off Eset.

The directory for Iobit Uninstaller was still there, under Program Files, but the main executable was missing. The uninstaller for the Iobit Uninstaller was there (how about that for twisting words?), and I ran it, then rebooted. Next I downloaded a trial of Revo Uninstaller and installed it. Eset has no problem with Revo, so that's a good start.

I also have Malwarebytes installed. Not the premium version, as Eset does not like sharing duties with Malwarebytes. This morning, I scanned with Malwarebytes and he found one bad actor. And guess who that was? You got it, remnants of the failed install of Iobit Uninstaller.

Just a heads up for everyone here: Both Eset and Malwarebytes do not like this new version of Iobit Uninstaller.