ipconfig/all (dos cmd prompt) does not list

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by BeavRocks, Jul 20, 2009.

1. BeavRocks

BeavRocks MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    Hi,

When on Windows XP and in a command prompt, typing ipcofig/all will normally output two sections.

The first section is Windows IP Configuration
    The second section is Etherenet adapter Local area connection

I replaced a motherboard on a computer and the entire section "Ethernet adapter Local area connection" does not display.

My problem is that I need dos to recognize my motherboard MAC address (Physical address = xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx). I have a lot of expensive software which is tied to my MAC address and none of it works anymore.

Ideally I would like to spoof my system to thinking my old MAC address is still the motherboard in use. I can't spoof it though because it does not list via the ipconfig/all command.

Did I miss something when I installed the motherboard? I tried Microsoft Devcon but am an amatuer with it and did not want to mess anything up. The whole system runs great with this new motherboard except this one item.

I could really use some help.

Thx,
    BeavRocks

2. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Sounds to me like you haven't installed the driver/s for the network card.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Yep...I have to agree..:D

check the device manager to see if it is there, and be sure it is enabled in the bios...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    You need the proper driver installed. You can spoof MAC addresses if needed.

5. BeavRocks

BeavRocks MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    Network adapter clarification

Thx for the replies. I took a look at my hardware setup and I do not have any yellow question marks. Under Network Adapters I show two. They are:
    - 1394 Net Adapter #3
    - Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabyte Ethernet NIC

I assume the Realtek one is embedded in my motherboard and the other is for my router cabling. Is that right?

Since I know nothing about network adapters I tend to agree that may be where I went wrong.

Any clarification on what I should do, or the "how to", would be great.

Thx,
    Beav

6. BeavRocks

BeavRocks MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    ipconfig/all update

HI,

Thx for the help. I installed a new Dynex network adapter and it now does recognize my computers MAC address now.

Now that I have it recognizing the MAC address, how do I spoof my MAC address so that it thinks I still have my old motherboard installed so that I can use my installed CAD programs?

Jim

7. BeavRocks

BeavRocks MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    Still not right

Alright, after installing the new network card my ipconfig/all command worked once. I then did a restart on my computer and that entire section is gone again. It is right back to the same problem I started with where I get no MAC address listed with the ipconfig/all command.

Any ideas?

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Defective card..Not initializing...Thats my take..:eek:

9. BeavRocks

BeavRocks MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    not a bad card

I don't think so. The new card came straight out of the box, brand new. It installed correctly and did show the ipconfig/all information correctly (until I logged off). 1 bad card maybe but 2 new ones being bad is not likely (made by 2 different manufacturers too).

Is this possibly some sort of bios issue?

Thx,
    Beav

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Probably XP problem..

11. tds

tds MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2008
    what version of your xp? pro/home? sp2?
    you replaced a new MB. Did you do repair installation of xp?
    Did you try insert 2 Network cards together to test instead of 1 by 1?

12. BeavRocks

BeavRocks MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    System specifics

Hi,

I am using Windows XP. Yes, I did do a Windows XP repair after the new board was installed. I was on service pack 2 until last night. I went to Windows update and went ahead and loaded service pack three. The WIndows Update site did recognize both of my Network adapters and did offer me the driver updates which I did install. The changes made no effect.
    The original network adapter is integral to my motherboard so the 2nd one I added was in addition to the first. My computer recognizes both otf them and there are no connectivity issues with either, other than my ip congiuration not showing in dos when I use the ipconfig/all command.

I am really stumped.

Beav

13. spiderman_pink

spiderman_pink MDL Member

Jul 1, 2009
    if you have a spare harddisk, you might want to do a clean install. a repair install works, but from my experience there are times when some unexplained problems just occur.

14. BeavRocks

BeavRocks MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    Well it is over a year later and I still have the same problem.

I am having trouble with IP address configured software not being able to recognize my IP address. This has been the case since I replaced a motherboard on my computer.

This is what I do and what I get:

1) Open dos window via start-->Run-->cmd

2)type in ipconfig/all or ipconfig /all

2a) Both dos entries display this result:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : beaver9

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : somtel.net

My internet service works fine. Everything is fine except as above.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Data

15. Yohoho

Yohoho MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2010
    If you are trying to install an external adapter check your bios and disable any built in adaptor. Windows may be seeing the embedded adapter and reinstalling that driver when you reboot.