Is an ISO which has a failed SHA-1/MD5 safe to use?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by adnanrocks93, Sep 4, 2014.

1. adnanrocks93

adnanrocks93 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2014
    I have download a supposedly 'untouched' version of msdn ISO of windows 8.1 all versions 64 bit, but after checking the SHA-1 number of the ISO against the MSDN website, I realize that the ISO has in fact been tapered with. Even so, I have extracted the WIM file and scannned it thoroughly aswell as all the remaining files using an anti virus software and it could not find any malware or viruses. So would it be safe to say that the ISO is not contaminated and is safe to use or is there malware and viruses hidden so deeply that a virus checker cannot find it. If so, how is that possible?

Cheers!

2. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    Is possible it was modified the install.wim, if failed SHA-1/MD5 I propose not use this ISO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    For all doubts mentioned by you I would say isn't safe to use it. Download the one of your taste right here from MDL :cool:

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If the hash doesn't match, get a new iso. It's very easy to hide malware from a/v programs.

5. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    There's no such thing as an "all-versions" iso in MSDN. If you can actually select which versión you want to install, then the iso has been modified in order to do that.

6. adnanrocks93

adnanrocks93 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2014
    Yes there is, but you cannot select the version to install, instead the installer decides which version to install based on the product key entered.

I can't post the link to the msdn website as I haven't posted more than 20 times but if you do a search you will find the multiple edition of 8.1

7. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I think you can post a link with "hxxp//". If not just post what comes after "www/", we'll figure it out.

As for SHA-1/MD5, if you don't care to follow them, why check in the first place?

8. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Windows 8.1 N with Update (multiple editions) (x64) < is this what you mean - multiple editions - not "all versions" as in OP?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...