Is directX 10 needed on XP Pro sp3?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JLD, Dec 7, 2009.

1. JLD

JLD MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    Hey guys, i have a question, im using win xp pro sp3 and have Nvidia GTS250. I play games alot but not a hardcore gamer. WinXP SP3 comes with DirectX 9.0c.

My question is, do i really need DirectX 10? can it SP3 support it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Xp SP3 does not support Directx 10. Directx 10 is not needed, but it does produce better graphics if the games are designed to take advantage of it. Directx 10 is slower than Directx 9, Directx 10.1 resolves these speed issues. Nvidia has only just started to support Directx 10.1 with some of the graphics cards released in the last month or so, despite it being out for a couple of years. Nvidia has long used game companies for advertising and has such limited them to Directx 10 so ATI don't have the advantage speed wise over them. An example of this is literally every single Directx 10 game that has an nvidia logo on the box or within the game. ATI has done the same thing with a fraction of the games of Nvidia, but this means the user gets to enjoy higher quality graphics due to Directx 10.1 being significantly faster, especially in things like antialiasing and anistropy.

The term 'need' means that its needed, which it isn't! Just like setting the in game settings to the highest settings as opposed to the lowest settings. The highest settings aren't needed, they are just a very good 'nicety' :)

3. JLD

JLD MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2009
    Thanx dude..answered!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. monno

monno MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2009
    Is this what for you ?

DirectX 10 NE (New Edition)

ww.freshwap.net/applications/26645-directx-10-ne-new-edition.html

5. Legendaryone

Legendaryone MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    Windows XP Can only supports up to direct x 9.0c

if your a hard core gamer than you need direct x 10 or 11
    but you can only get dx 10 or higher if your using vista or windows 7

6. KruB

KruB MDL Novice

May 3, 2012
    Windows XP only 9.0

7. douglaswalkers

douglaswalkers MDL Junior Member

Jun 1, 2012
    I think directx 10 for windows that is awesome. Directx 10 for windows provides so many features like it increase player's interest to play game with better graphics and video effect etc.

8. grml4d

grml4d MDL Junior Member

Sep 14, 2011
    dx10 or 11 should be very good but m$ is making money with dx , making mandatory to use some buggy oses like vista or 7

9. douglaswalkers

douglaswalkers MDL Junior Member

Jun 1, 2012
    I never played directx 11. If you say it is good then I will definitely try it. But I don't know how m$ is making money with dx. So can you provide more information about it ? Thanks in advance.

10. Corporal

Corporal MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2012
    directx 10 is suported.