Is F8 has been disable in WDP?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TGNT, Sep 22, 2011.

1. TGNT

TGNT MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Does anyone know Which key option to turn on Safe Mode option? I tried the F8 option when boot, but it didn't work.

Thanks

2. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #2 nexus76, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
    F8 still works

but you can't select to boot into the safe mode anymore.
    if you press F8 you can choose the restore options, reset and so on. imo it's a bad idea they removed the safe mode.
    I had situations installing wrong software - the only option was to reset the system instead of booting safemode and removing the software that prevents the boot.
    system restore mostly fails like in all other windows versions before. the only option to boot safemode is from msconfig « a running windows 8

too bad :/

if microsoft definitely blocks linux bootloaders I'll keep on windows 7. that's it for me.

linux is a piece of freedom I can't miss.

the new windows 8 bootloader is a misconstruction and has only one goal:
    preventing OS theft by the name of "securing the operating system".

by now MS was not able to protect the "recycle" bin or the "system volume information folder" (SYSTEM PERMISSIONS!) from malware.
    how should a bootloader prevent infections? maybe some users believe in this fake motivation, me not.

windows won't ever be "my one & only" operating system, sorry microsoft, removed windows 8 DP

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    The key to activate safe mode has been changed to Shift-F8 for win8.

I have multiboot on my HDD, in the boot menu, after I choose win8, then Shift-F8, the safe mode screen will show up with all the options like in win7.

I don't know how to do it when there is only 1 OS, maybe when the mobo screen starts then you tap continuously on shift-F8? :p

4. TGNT

TGNT MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010

shift+f8 worked. Thank you very much.

5. thomas13203

thomas13203 MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2011
    uefi gpt and secure boot is the best thing to happen to a computer since the gui.
    if linux cant be used on these computers no major loss although i assume that the developers at linux will find a work around,
    dump the damn mbr and 1980's bios. it sucked then and it sucks now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Opus

Opus MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    #7 Opus, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
    OEM's may or may not provide a measure to disable secure boot. If a user isn't dumb@ss then it can securely disable secure boot provided its hardware supports that. I have seen rootkits being installed on corporate computers but those aren't very hard to remove. I am in favor of UEFI, GPT style partitions and secure boot but only in corporate scenarios where you don't have more than one OS installed on a PC. For home use I would prefer to buy a custom built notebook or i'll go for the company which will give out the option to disable secure boot as I need _nix + Windows not just Windows and I bet most of guys around here need this feature.

7. DalekOverSeer

DalekOverSeer MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    now removing safemode is one of the stupidest things microsour could of done. from time to time windows won't boot normally, would go into safemode, restart the system and windows would boot normally again. system restore 50% of the time likes to fail when run from the normal environment, but i have never seen it fail from safemode.

8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Press Shift+F8

9. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Thanks guys...shift+f8 worked fine...:worthy: