Is Google corporate c*ap kicked out of any ROM for HTC Desire, please?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by gorski, Oct 19, 2012.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I'm really fed up with all that crowding in, so to speak, of Google shi*e, corporate horror story in everything or almost everything, not being able to send apps to memory card and clogging up the flash etc.:mad:

So, is there such a thing as Droid ROM that gives you the full control over what goes where, doesn't spy on you, doesn't allow your stuff to "leak" freely and yet it is fully functional, please?:confused:

How to put it in (root it) without having to have a degree in IT stuff and preserve contacts and so forth?

Btw, I am a lay person, so be patient, please...:biggrin:

Many thanx in advance!:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I did that inside the Droid, using various apps and simply going into settings and switching off stuff I could...

But as I said: how do I send/install apps to memory card and so on...?

I saw somewhere there is a simple app to root it on Play Store? Simple as that or more f**ing about?

After rooting, ROM can be easily installed or...?

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #5 gorski, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
    (OP)
    Cheers, m8!:thumbsup:

After your experience with various ROMs - any of them better than others, in terms of full functionality and not leaking your stuff back to the coprs?

Any other tips, please?

Edit: I now saw the apps2SD function, after I wrote the post, having opened the links afterwards... :D

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Very cool!:spoton:Lots to read... Too much, actually... :D

Must prepare for a job competition... But after...

First the satellite dish, though... ;)

Cheerio! :)

8. beijingshots

beijingshots MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2012
    #8 beijingshots, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    are there any tips on how to properly root android? any warnings on what can go wrong would be helpful.

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #9 gorski, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    (OP)
    I forgot to tell ya all... :D Sorry :)

I had to S-OFF my HTC Desire first.

I think I must have used one of the 2 mostly used methods and it was really easy. Just search a bit.

Then, I installed 4EXT (I think I sent it to the phone using one of the Win applications, easily found on XDA and similar forums/websites) and made a backup of it all.

Then, I sent a rooting app, if memory serves (or was it from a Win app - can't remember now) - but it was pretty straight forward (if one doesn't work, another will, once the S-OFF is in place).

Having rooted it, one uses 4EXT to partition the SD card properly: EXT and FAT (32?). Give the 4EXT freedom to do it for you - it's great! I just gave the size of 1.5GB to the Linux Partition and the rest to FAT (for music, videos and so on).

Then, sent PARANOID ANDROID latest ROM to my SD card and in the Booting/Rescue mode (whatever the name, you will see it in all the tutorials) you burn the ROM into flash, I think also using 4EXT (which is GREAT!!!), if my failing memory serves... :D

When it is done you can do the same with Google corporate crap package (it is done separately, mercifully!) - but here is the good news: you do NOT have to put G's stuff in!!! Moreover, the cleansing of snooping etc. has taken place in the ROM itself. It's reasonably safe from corporate nonsense!

So, then, replace Google Play with 4-5 other sites. How? The PA browser is NOT Google's, so simply use it to find those websites and add those widgets and do the best you can, the way you want it to be...

For instance, compare Google's "Currents" with "Flickboard", Chrome with Firefox/Boat/Opera/Maxthon etc. etc.

NO NEED FOR ANY OF GOOGLE SH*TE!!!!:ranting::rolleyes::biggrin:

YEAY FOR THE XDA!!!!!!!!!!!:worthy:

FREEDOM!!!!!!!:kicking:

10. shabirally

shabirally MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2013
    Me too, I love installing roms. LIKE AOKP CM Pacman, etc