Is It bad if you remove pendrive booteable while W is about to restart?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Soldado11, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Soldado11

Soldado11 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2018
    #1 Soldado11, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Hi guys !!

My boot order used to be:(w7)

DVD
    HDD
    USB

Now when i install w10 It automatically changes my boot order to:

DVD
    USB
    HDD

So when i install Windows at the first restart, the Windows installer comes out again, windows 7 used to respect my boot order and at the first restart It booted the HDD instead of the USB, windows 10 not

So my solution is to remove the pendrive when i see the countdown before the first restart while im installing Windows

it is ok?

im a bit scare of breaking down the usb and when i reinstall Windows it doesn't work or to get Windows corrupted, i don't safely remove the pendrive

Thank you so much !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    At first reboot you can remove the USB, it has copied/applied all files to the target drive.

Windows doesn't change the boot order, you did, to boot from USB.

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Shouldn't normally cause any issues to the USB drive, as Setup is only reading from it, not writing to. Remember, the original ISOs are read-only by design.

4. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    disconnect any USB Devices, and only 2 can stay is Keyboard and mouse that all, then you should be ok, some bios has Boot Menu (BY press F12 or F11) depend on motherboard brand.. You can go Boot Menu option is determine CD/DVD boot disc.. Make sure is Bootable Disc!!

5. Soldado11

Soldado11 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2018
    #5 Soldado11, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    (OP)
    Hi guys

Im almost sure Windows 10 ( LTSB ) changes my boot order

I've installed many times Windows 7 and whenever It restarted it booted the Drive again, contrary to w10

I saw my boot order

DVD
    DRIVE
    USB

So i decided to go ahead and install w10, at the first reboot It booted the USB, turned off the pc and saw my boot order has changed again ( DVD, USB, DRIVE )

My solution: when the installer restarts before It boots the USB again, i press esc to see the boot setup and select the drive

And than you !! I didn't know the original ISOs are read-only

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Well, the ISOs are read-only because the optical media (CD and later DVD) Windows did originally ship on is read-only. Even with R/RW/RE media and a burner drive, the finalized contents of the media are read-only. Only packet-write-style media can be written to without using special software, and Windows never used that technique.

As far as altering the boot order, if your firmware is UEFI then it is certainly possible. UEFI allows the Windows Boot Manager to access/modify it, AFAIK. In all my machines using UEFI boot, "Windows Boot Manager" is the top entry in the boot order.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #7 Enthousiast, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    ISO's are not really read only, they can be modified by any ISO mastering tool, like UltraISO, PowerISO, etcetc...

About the boot order, just when it reboots the first time, set it back to booting from the systemdrive and it won't boot from USB after it.

Or just remove the USB drive at first reboot.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    when i boot linux mint 18.x it does that from my F12 key gigabyte boot menu on efi.. i have to sometimes do f12 one time to select windows boot manager and then it stays.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    On some mobo's the F<KEY> for boot order selection is a temp one (will only boot this time from the selected device), for other mobo's it's set to keep booting from the selected device, just go into the bios and set the desired boot device when it first reboots when installing windows.

10. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I also pull out my USB drive after OS installation prompt to restart in 10 seconds. I do this to avoid the drive being installed as a device when the OS first time initiate detected devices. Is no biggie if it installs it. As far OS goes it is stable and there's no read or write indication on the stick's activity light during the 10 seconds prompt so safe to assume it will do no damage to the drive.

11. Soldado11

Soldado11 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2018
    Thann you all guys !

12. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    ISO mastering tool or even 7-Zip or similar archivers supporting ISO = special software. Doesn't change the fact that the ISO filesystem was designed for read-only media. Filesystem is now UDF mostly (in all its flavors/versions), before it was ISO9660 CDFS. If you are as old as me you might even remember HIGH SIERRA, lol.

To sum it up: An ISO is a container format that includes an exact image of read-only optical media (CD, DVD, BluRay). Special software can re-master it, but when burned or mounted, it is read-only.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    7zip can't save iso, only ISO tools can save it.

And nothing of this has to do with removing the pendrive or just altering the boot sequence at first reboot. The USB with the extracted ISO is not read only but windows doesn't write anything back to the installmedia anyway.

14. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012