Is it GG for my laptops screen? (Solved)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by PaulTroll1282, Aug 29, 2020.

1. PaulTroll1282

PaulTroll1282 MDL Junior Member

Oct 6, 2017
    So my laptop's screen has been leaking this sticky substance for a while now. (They leak at the bottom at the seams.)
    I already knew somethings wrong but then this showed up. (See attached pic. The blobby looking thing.)
    It's been expanding slowly all day. So is this the end for my old laptops screen?

Attached Files:

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I can't see what is on the image clearly. Some of the causes of such are a dying GPU, bad flex cable, failing screen, etc.

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If your laptop screen starts to darken on some sides and the darkened area keeps growing and has unknown shape, this is an obvious sign that there is a problem with the display and there is no way to fix it. The only option is to replace the display with a new one.
    You can continue using until this darkened area does not interfere with your work, but You must think about of replacing it soon.
    But before be sure, this effect is visible always and don't depend of opened sites.
    So, look very carefully at what it will do next and don't rush into buying a new one until it's completely clear what's really going on.
    I personally faced a similar problem about 6 months ago.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PaulTroll1282

Oct 6, 2017
    Hmm it's probably a failing screen huh. tnx

5. PaulTroll1282

Oct 6, 2017
    Tnx for the advice, will monitor it. It's not really darkening but it just looks like there liquid spilled in it but its not. I dont have enough money to replace the screen so ill wait for it to maybe die and buy an external monitor.

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Tell me the exact details and release year of this computer. I'll see what's possible to find. It's simply my curiosity.
    And think about whether you want a glossy or matte screen.
    It is also very important whether you have a touch screen or a normal one.
    For a brand new and made in the same factory screen prices vary widely and can be up to 10-15 times different.
    And one more thing - December is coming and Christmas time is coming, then many things are very cheap.
    For example, in my case I had to choose between 10 times the price difference for exactly the same thing (the product code and even the manufacturer factory were the same).
    But again, if nothing has changed in the long time (several months), you are not in a hurry.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    #7 WindowsGeek, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    U can pick up a replacement screen for under $55 on ebay even cheaper if is use thats in good working order, post the model of your laptop.

8. PaulTroll1282

Oct 6, 2017
    Yeah there's a problem about that, ebay is not a thing in my country, tnx for the advice tho. Will try to look for replacement parts.

9. PaulTroll1282

Oct 6, 2017
    My laptops a Dell an Inspiron 7548 to be specific, yes it is touch screen but i turned it off because sometimes ghost touch happens (cus before i was given this laptop the old owner dropped it on the store leaving a dent in the alumin case and in the corner of the screen and producing a black line in the screen which you cant see) so thats probably the reason why this thing spawned (been using this laptop for about 4 years btw).
    Plus its not really doing anything its kinda just spreading like a blob (see attached picture). And i cant do anything about it, I don't have enough money to buy even a secondhand replacement so im kinda just stuck with it since its pretty harmless right now. Still thank you guys for helping me, I appreaciate the effort. Have a great day!

Attached Files:

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012